Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #11 
ramya

I added 1 tsp of epsom to his 6 gallon tank. He has not showed any improvement. Since he is not bloated, I am not sure if epsom is the right thing to add (since it reduces bloating, i believe).
I am going to start maracyn+Marancyn2 treatment. Hopefully that will help. How does water change work with these meds?
ramya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #12 
callistra

That's not enough epsoms to have any effect at all. You need to add at least 2 tsp but I would add up to 6.

Meds will toast your cycle so you will need to do weekly 100% change in the tank until he is well and then recycle will take 2 months..

Can you share photos?

Have you upped water changes?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #13 
ramya

I am very unclear on certain things

1. Should I add or up epsom salt even though he is not bloated?
How should I add the 6 tablespoons- how slow basically?

2. Can bettas survive submerged? My local pet store guy says he will be fine and he has been alive in spite of being under water for 3 days.
( I am really not sure how I can float him in a cup on top of the water. I usually never touch/scoop him for anything. He might freak out )

3. I went to my pet stoe and purchased Furan 2. It doesnt say its for SBD but looks like its a wide spectrum antibiotic. If I start using that, should I float him in a cup on top- or will he be fine at the bottom? Maybe antibiotic is a better way since hes been suffering since about 3 weeks (on and off)

Sorry for so many questions, but you guys are the best!
PS: I am chaging 25% of water every 3 days- he seems to be unhappy every time I change water (although everything is fine in terms of parameters)
ramya is offline   Reply With Quote