Betta Fish Forum banner

Plant alternatives?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  colorxmexravyne 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I just have a quick question: what are some alternatives to hornwort? I just put some in my tank yesterday (some floating, some in the substrate), and although it's really pretty, I noticed my betta's ripping his fins on it. I'm positive it's the hornwort because the other plants have all been in there for a good month or two and he's been perfectly fine.

Currently in my tank I have, hornwort, anacharis, wisteria, duckweed, some species of bacopa (not sure which) and 2.5 marimo moss balls.

My lighting is 2 wpg (10 watts, 5 gal); 6500k fluorescent bulb and I have a large gravel substrate. Also, I'm not sure if this matters, but my tanks temperature is generally at a steady 80 degrees.

Thanks in advance!

#9 · (Edited)
Oh wow, I've never heard of that plant but it's really pretty! o: The only problem is that I'm not sure where to even begin looking for it. x: I'm curious, though - why don't you like Hornwort?

I have a ton of hornwart... very soft, so surprised your guy got rips in his fins from it.

It depends on what type of look you are going for.. I have Brazillian Pennywort and narrow leaf anacharis as floaters in my tanks as well (they can be rooted if wished). So far no problems with any of them and my fish - currently have them all in a few different tanks.
See, I'm starting to wonder if I was sold some sub-species of hornwort because mine's not soft at all. In fact, it's really stiff and feels like pine needles. It wouldn't pass the pantyhose test at all. I threw it in my tank thinking it would soften up, but to no avail. I'll look into the narrow leaf anacharis though. I'm really a fan of anacharis and it grows super well in my tank (as it does in most other tanks, haha!)

Pennywort was on my list of plants to look into as well. Not really as a replacement, but because I like the look of it. :)

Cabomba is a floater and is a little softer than hornwort imo (if you want something similar)
other good floater choices would be anarchis, amazon frogbit, water sprite or wisteria. all but the frogbit could be planted as well.
Ooh, cabomba's nice. Definitely in the running, thanks!

#7 ·
I have a ton of hornwart... very soft, so surprised your guy got rips in his fins from it.

It depends on what type of look you are going for.. I have Brazillian Pennywort and narrow leaf anacharis as floaters in my tanks as well (they can be rooted if wished). So far no problems with any of them and my fish - currently have them all in a few different tanks.

#8 ·
Cabomba is a floater and is a little softer than hornwort imo (if you want something similar)
other good floater choices would be anarchis, amazon frogbit, water sprite or wisteria. all but the frogbit could be planted as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.