Betta Fish Forum banner

Male and female betta in 5 gal tank? ._.

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  1fish2fish 
#1 ·
i currently have a gorgeous male beta. ive had him for about 5 months now. he lives in a .5 gal tank. ive been thinking about buying a bigger 5 gallon tank and placing a female in there as well because i'd like to see what the offspring will look like. (i want a female crowntail). i will put a divider in the tank first so the bettas could see eachother from that point first. ill also see if the female will start developing vertical stripes showing her interest in my betta. but is 5 gallon good enough? i mean i dont really feel like going any bigger. i think its a waste to spend more money on a larger tank that will just hold 2 bettas .

#2 ·
From reading your post I'm going to tell you right now. Do not breed. Raising fry is a lot of work, a lot of money, a lot of time, and a lot of effort.

A 5 gallon properly divided should be fine for two bettas but do not let them get to each other. Its way too small to grow out fry in however. Also you'll have to remove the female right after the spawn so you'll need another tank for her and then another tank for the male after the fry are free swimming. Plus a much larger grow out for the fry and a ton of jars ect.

#4 ·
Its not as simple as learning your ABC's
you need to do alot of research, have a good at LEAST 100 or so jars, a 20 or 30 gallon MIN. Grow out tank, be able to do 100% daily water changes and homes for EVERY baby your not keeping

Ya sure you can spawn them in a 10 gallon and raise the fry in there for a LITTLE while, but you will need BIGGER

So DO NOT do it until you can do everything RIGHT and have all the right stuff and homes for ALL the fry (they can have a few HUNDRED) And so on and so forth.......

#5 ·
oh, and yeah honestly i dont know too much information about how to care for the fry, thats why im going to leave the divider in there until i obtain all the information for how to care for them once they hatch. how long does it take the fry to hatch? but i really do have an interest in raising them. i mean i think it'll just be a one time thing. i have the time and im financially stable . its just going to take a while for me to learn all about this but i have an interest

#6 ·
oh, i see. so all the jars are for the individual fry that have grown up right? and ofcourse im not going to do this right away. im just trying to learn everything now.. sorry i sound like a noob hah . and what am i going to do to all the grown up bettas i dont want to keep ?

#7 ·
The jars are for the fry for when they get to that point that they start to flare (also show aggression) normally around when they start to show colors..

I just want to add since no one else has, if your really interested in breeding bettas do some research on conditioning your bettas. Trust me google will have loads of information on how to do it. It is possible to do without it I did once many years ago on a lucky try when I had no clue what I was doing (only had 2 fry though)

:) as for setting up a 10 gallon for them to spawn in.. you can actually see a couple videos on youtube that shows you the things youll need. Hope I was able to help!

#9 ·
thanks @Ritingyou :)

@alysalousie yes im trying to figure that out now. i obviously dont have the fry yet and dont plan on it until i am knowledgeable about how to care for them completely.. i'll probably give them to friends/family. i know alot of people that like them.

how long does it take for fry to hatch? i keep finding random answers .

#10 ·
thanks @Ritingyou :)

@alysalousie yes im trying to figure that out now. i obviously dont have the fry yet and dont plan on it until i am knowledgeable about how to care for them completely.. i'll probably give them to friends/family. i know alot of people that like them.

how long does it take for fry to hatch? i keep finding random answers .

well i hope you know a hundred or more people that could take them and properly care for them lol

24-36 hours

#12 ·
I suggest you start by reading the stickys at the top of this forum. I would also start by providing adequate housing for the male you already have before getting any other fish.

Breeding is a HUGE under taking. It should not be taken lightly.

#15 ·
Okay I dont wana get into the middle of this argument thing but I want to point out I keep many of my males in 1 gal containers and with proper care they live just fine. I dont know what the care of their fish is but all I am saying is quality care can be achieved in a 1 gal

#16 ·
Ya true, but thats daily 100% water changes, and keeping the water the right temp and so on

I'll be keeping 3 in 1 and 2 and a half gallons, With 100% daily water changes. But thats only temp for them until i can buy the stuff to make dividers to put them in tanks that have a filter, and are 10 + gallons

If they are doing daily water changes and so on in the 1 gal fine, but if their not and only doing 50% or 100% a week, then its better to have it in a bigger tank

#17 ·
you should really have a lot of experience with fish before you try breeding bettas. If you reeeeally wanna breed I would suggest breeding guppies first, as they are easier to breed and care for and will teach you about the process

#20 ·
Yeah.. Guppies will pretty much breed anywhere, anytime, bettas are much more fickle. Not to mention guppies are live bearers and splendens are egg layers so how the fry are raised is totally different. Apples and Oranges really.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.