Betta Fish Forum banner

best food for bettas

3K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  hannguyen 
#1 ·
What's the best food for them? I feed them Aqueon color enhancing betta food

#2 ·
the best food IMO is atison's betta pro, the best food that you can buy at your LFS is Omega One betta buffet pellets

#4 ·
i like them because they have a good high quality protein content

#5 ·
dont throw out the food that you are feeding them now :) i actually feed mine a huge variety that aside from the foods i listed above includes tetrabetta floating pellets, freezedried bloodworms, daphnia, mysis shrimp and food i make for them myself :) they love variety in their diet

#8 · (Edited)
I like and feed the New Life Spectrum Betta Formula and had to order it on Amazon as my LPS doesnt carry it. I love that is already has the garlic included in the pellets and they are also tiny, Perseus loves them !

New Life Spectrum food is made with high quality, easily digestible South Antarctic krill, herring, and several all-natural color-enhancing ingredients for a balanced diet that boosts immune system function and enhances the full spectrum of your fish's color. With the belief that all fish require a complete and fully balanced varied diet, New Life also contains algae meal, that consists of seaweed, kelp and Haematococcus pluvialis, a premium grade of natural spirulina, as well as a fruit and vegetable extract that consists of spinach, red and green cabbage, peas, broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, tomato, kiwi, apricot, pear, mango, apple, papaya and peach. All New Life Spectrum products also contain generous amounts of garlic and Thera A formulas contain a mega-dose of this natural anti-parasitic ingredient. Betta Formula comes in a 60-gram jar

#9 ·
I use Betta Omega One Buffet Flakes and Hikari Bio Gold Pellets. My Betta is picky about what he eats, he doesn't eat any other kind of pellet and the Bio Gold is perfect size because I didn't have to soak them in water before feeding him and he gobbles them up.
I still don't know if the Flakes is good for him but it has 43% of protein which is a lot more than other brands that I've seen.

#10 ·
^^ ive also heard a lot of nice things about New Life Spectrum, i just have never been able to find it in stores and cant order stuff online

#13 ·
Yeah thats the only thing I dont like about NLS it that is does sink to quick so I always be sure and drop it right in front of Perseus or tap the water for him to come over to the spot I want him to eat where I can see good enough to make sure he gets it before it sinks and he always does.

#14 ·
ohhh.... i gotta find myself a petco then haha, omega one sinks pretty fast too

#17 ·
didnt they change their ingredients though so its not nearly as good now?

#16 ·
Bio-Gold changed their ingredients and now it's not good :( I recommend New Life Spectrum. It doesn't have wheat gluten which is a cheap filler to boost the protein! ^.^ Mine floats well, though. That's unusual...

#19 ·
Yes, they did. NLS has 37% as minimum protein, but that's plenty! Your food has a lot of protein because of a cheap filler called wheat gluten. Search in the ingredients. NLS doesn't have it! :D

#21 ·
I use the NLS small fish formula. Love the 48% protein. My betta eats them so fast and they really don't sink because they're so small. But I feed a lot more to them cause they're so friggin small. I haven't had any problems with it. Like my betta will swim to it so fast the moment I drop it in. And I feed them some frozen bloodworms twice a week.

#23 ·
yes, just give it to him in small pieces, i sometimes give my betta frozen shrimp.... like people food shrimp haha

#25 ·
Ever heard of this brand before?

My friend moved out of town and left me a bottle of this. On the label it says. Ultracolor Community Fish Food.

I have the 5oz container they sell. The ingredients seem pretty good to me, I didn't see any wheat gluten. They had a betta specific food, but when I inquired about it through their phone number, the representative from the company mentioned only about 5 people bought it, so it was discontinued.

I forget who mentioned it in this forum, but wheat gluten is NOT a good ingredient, but I think all the fish food I have on hand has gluten in it, except for this Ultracolor brand stuff.

I wanted to buy some of the betta specific food, but they don't sell it anymore.

Let me know what you guys think. I'll be adding this my betta's dinner menu a couple times a week. I still have 4.7oz of it. Yay!

I think their 5oz jar is the best deal.

They're a really small company, and it's a shame most of their lines are discontinued.

Here's a link...

http://www.prettybird.com/fish.htm

Here's the ingredient list.

Quality Ingredients Make The Difference
Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 56%, Crude Fat/Oil (min) 8.5%, Crude Fiber (max) 3%, Moisture (max) 10%

Ingredients:
Herring Meal, Kelp Meal, Squid Meal, Spiruliana, Garlic, Chlorella Algae, Yeast, Yeast Extract, Paprika Oleoresin, DL Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Lecithin, L-Threonine, L-Tryptophan, Choline Chloride, Isoleucine, Marigold Extract, Betaine Anhydrous, LAscorbyl- 2-Polyphosphate (Source of Stabilized Vitamin C), Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols, Astaxanthin, Beta Carotene, Canthaxanthin, Inositol, Vitamin E Supplement, Biotin), Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K3), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Selenium Yeast, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Bacillus Licheniformis, Bacillus Pumilus, Bacillus Coagulans, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae.

#27 ·
Hey. I've been feeding my betta Hikari Betta Bio Gold. The first ingredient is wheat flour but it says that its 38% min. crude protein. Other ingredients with wheat and gluten are gluten meal and wheat germ meal. I have soaked it in garlic juice before. My fish likes it. Is it not a good idea to feed him that? Also, should I mix his diet up? I'll take your suggestions into consideration.
I have TetraMin tropical flakes that came with my tank. Is this good for betta or potential neon tetras? First ingredient is fish meal and it says min crude protein 47%.
Thank you. :)

#29 ·
It's an OK food but it's not the best. :( The older Bio-Gold was. But it changed and now it's bad. The flakes are better for the Neon Tetras. I suggest to cup your Betta 1st and then feed your Tetras.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.