Betta Fish Forum banner

Tanks with hoods are safe for betas, right?

761 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Maryrox247 
#1 ·
So I'm brand new to bettas (and to this forum - Hi!) and I want to make sure I get the right equipment before I get my first little guy. I've been looking at the Eclipse tanks and I just wanted to make sure that a tank with a hood is safe for a betta? I read on many other websites that tanks with hoods don't allow enough fresh air and oxygen in for the fishy to breathe, and that you need an open top, but then I peeked through photos on this site and saw that many of you keep them in hooded tanks. So I wanted to see if anything special needs to be done, like propping the hood open ever so slightly (though not enough so that they could jump out) to ensure that they get fresh air? In advance, thanks for clarifying this!

#2 ·
Welcome! Actually, you're supposed to get a lid to prevent him from jumping out of the tank. :)

I think there are still holes and stuff that air can get into. If you're really worried about it, leave an inch or two at the top of the tank so he can breathe.

#3 ·
A lot of tank hoods will have small openings that allow air to pass through, such as the space where a heater or filter are meant to go. It seems like that would be enough. If yours doesn't have that and you're concerned about it, you could always use a small pebble or something to prop the hood up just a smidge.

#4 ·
Welcome to fish forum! Tanks with hoods are safe for bettas. juts make sure there are openings in it so air can pass through. ( but not big enough for the betta to jump through!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.