Betta Fish Forum banner

Older Betta Won't Eat!!

735 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BettaxFishxCrazy 
#1 ·
Lately, his colour appears to have dulled, and he no longer eats and doesn't even notice food being dropped in. He spends most of his time lying on his side at the bottom of the bowl. When he does move, he appears to have some trouble swimming upwards and stay up.

I've had my betta fish for almost two years now. I haven't changed his set up very much in this time. He's housed in a 1 gallon sized bowl with room temperature water that I let sit for a day before putting him in. I change it around once every 10 days switching between 2 bowls. I have a fake plant which my fish normally enjoys to rest in, between the leaves.

I have no idea what to do. I moved him into my room from the kitchen where there's more light and is a little warmer. He responded that for a short time, but now it's the same thing.

This is my first time on this forum, and any advice would be extremely helpful.

#3 ·
Ok, I'll do that and make some changes asap, thanks. At the moment I don't have a heater. It's just a very basic bowl and water set up. I use Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner.

Any advice for what I could do in the meantime to deal with his swimming problem/listlessness?

#4 ·
When it gets too cold, they'll start to slow down or won't stop moving, so until you can get a heater I don't think he'll perk up much. I'd keep changing his water every day with warm water, but be careful to acclimate him slowly to the warmer temp so he doesn't go into shock. You can do this by floating his cup in the water until you can feel the cup getting warmer (about 10 to 15 minutes). I would also buy a thermometer so you know exactly what the temp is. I like tanks better than bowls because they come with a light. They don't like too much light, but they don't like being in complete darkness 24/7 either. Also, that's good that you're using water conditioner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.