Betta Fish Forum banner

How To Keep Tetras From Eating Betta Food/ Bettas Eating Tetra Food?

12K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  Sarada 
#1 ·
How do I keep bettas from eating Tetra Food? I might be getting a larger tank like this: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-P2xqZMI8E) tonight. I want to add a few tetras, but I want to know: (See Title).

Thanks!:)

#5 ·
Can bettas eat Tetra food and can tetras eat betta food? Kind of like a salad? I just think a 3 way breeder is too much of a hassle for Lucky.

#6 ·
I feed all my fish the same food and that's tropical flakes, why? well, because I have tetras, cories and a pleco in my female betta tank and it would be very difficult to feed them all their individual foods, plus they love it lol.

#9 ·
Sorry if I'm leading you off.

I want to put tetras with Lucky, my male betta. I don't have the tetras Yet. I just need to know if I can mix the Tetra food and the betta food together to make a Mix. That way there are no complications.

#10 · (Edited)
It's OK, I'm just a bit twp thats all lol

What do you feed your male at the moment, pellets, flakes?

See, if you feed him pellets and the tetras flakes then he is likely to finish his and go for the tetras and vice versa.

I feed my females and tetras tropical flakes and used to throw in some algae wafers for the cories and pleco but the tetras and females used to finish theirs and go straight for the wafers so I stopped feeding the cories and now everyone is just on flakes lol.

Man I'm stupid !!

I just re-read and yes you can mix the food but if you are going to do that then you may as well just either stick to one type of food or get tropical flakes, thats what I would do anyway :)

#16 ·
Well, since no one has mentioned this. A 5g tank is no where near enough room for a betta and tetras. IMO tetras need at least 15g to be happy. They are very active fish and need to be in large shoals.

For a tank mate, I'd get a few ADFs or a Mystery snail. A mystery snail is easy to feed. ADFs are not.

#17 ·
I thought the tank looked big enough to keep a small school. Well, you probably know best! Are there any fishy friends for Lucky? The tank just seemed to big for one betta. I thought it was going to be smaller. Shows what I know, lol. Plus, IDK Where I can get ADFs. Nor do I know where I can get snails.

#19 ·
Maybe you could get two Otocinclus catfish. But I don't think they are very well suited for a 5g unless it's planted.

You can get ADFs and Mystery snails at Petsmart. At least mine sells both.

I would not add any other fish. Although it looks big they simply isn't enough space to comfortably house them all.

#20 ·
you can get both ADFs and Mystery snails at your local petsmart/petco.
=] you could also opt for shrimp but be forewarned that your betta might see them as a snack and eat them. =/

Also if you get shrimp or ADFs they need lots of places to hide. =]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.