Betta Fish Forum banner

ADDING A BETTA?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  bettamad 
#1 ·
I have an established 5 gal with a algae eater as the only occupant. I got him a little over a year ago before I found out that he was not the good kind of algae eater to have, but I can't bear to do away with him. So my question is this: Can I add a Betta to the tank with the algae eater? It would just be the two of them. I think the male Bettas are so pretty and I would rescue one from the life of a 6 inch bowl, but I want to make sure they would be compatible before adding the Betta.

#3 ·
unfortunately, yes a chinese algae eater.
I went ahead and put the betta in there too. So far everything is fine.
I really hope they get along.
Actually the dog is the biggest problem. He bites at the tank to make the fish jump. Poor little fish!

#4 ·
The myth that fish stay the size of their tank is only part true.

take the algae eater back to the fish store or give it to someone with a 300 gallon or larger tank. these fish grow to over 11 inches and are highly territorial as they get older. it is cruel and inhumane to keep him in a 5 gallon.

I understand you like the fish, but do the right thing and give it away
As far as your 5 gallon goes, keep the beta in there, he will be happy. you can even add a few decorative snails in with him to keep him company, they clean the tank and look nice too!

Next, move the tank out of reach of the dog...period...stress like that will kill any fish. Fish, can, and will die from stress. The stress can be from being moved constantly from tank to tank, pets attacking them, other fish in the tank attacking them, poor water quality, ect.

Now that the tank is away from the dog and the chinese algae eater is gone, make sure you at the bare minimum remove 2 gallons of water once every two weeks and replace it with fresh water. thats the bare minimum, reccommended is a 30% water change once a week in smaller tanks.

(editted for content for sensitive and younger members- fish_4_all)

#5 ·
don't get me wrong, I would gladly give the algae eater away....but my lfs won't take him. I simply don't know what to do with him...and there is no way I can chop his head off! someone else would have to do that for me if it comes down to that.

I do water changes in the 5 gal tank just like I do my 55 gal tank. I haven't moved the algae eater into the larger tank because I have read that they get territorial and didn't want him to hurt or kill the other fish in there.

#6 ·
is this a chain pet store? because most private pet stores will take them back, even if they dont give you a credit for it, they will take a healthy fish they can turn around and sell for $$$. Try a differant pet store, call them and tell them your problem.

I am suggesting you get rid of the fish before you come even more attached to it. and yes, not only is your 55g too small for it, when it gets bigger you may have problems with it killing inhabitants.

You really need to get rid of the algae eater though :( try a few pet stores and see what you come up with...

(editted for content for sensitve and younger members - fish_4_all)

#7 ·
yes, it is a chain store. I will try calling around to the few others we have here in town. Thanks for the help. :)
I would never have bought him if I had known how large or aggresive he could get. When I went to purchase an algae eater this is what they suggested at Petsmart. Since then I have read up on the subject and prefer to buy my fish at other places.

I admit I was pretty naive when I first got into the fish hobby. It started because my grandson brought home a fish he won at his daycare 3 years ago. I've learned and expanded quite a bit since then. Unfortunately I killed way too many fish through my ignorance. :cry:

#8 ·
there is a sticky on humane ways to euthanise a fish. one involves clove oil and doesnt involve anything "brutal" like beheading. i say "brutal" because its not actually cruel as its a very quick way for the fish (as long as youre fast and do it right first time) but it seems violent and would be upsetting to do

however, id find a fish store, rather than a petworld or whatever and im almost certain theyll take it back as id never be able to kill a fish. im far too soft, like you i suppose

#10 ·
Yeah, i had heard of clove oil, we dont carry it around here, nor have i had personal experience with it. and yes, while beheading is easy on the fish, it is hard on the owner. the few fish i have had to euthanize were very difficult to do, and it has given me nightmares for a good week afterwards.

but yes, pet store! call some of them, i am sure one of them will help you out!

P.S. the 5 gallon will be perfect for that beta! add a couple decorative snails in there to keep algae down and look pretty, and you are set!

#11 ·
Hi have you ever checked out craigslist.com? I have found many great homes for homeless dogs I have taken in, but theirs fish adoptions on their also. If you post an ad saying your looking for somebody with a big tank, somebody might be able to help you =) Just make sure YOU take the little guy to them so you know they DO have the tank and they wont have him in something to small =) Just a suggestion if you havent rehomed found a petstore for him =)
Good luck!

#12 ·
Don't feel too bad about the mistakes, most of the time it is not our fault. After all, when g o out and get a dog we expect to be told how large the animal will get and how to take care of them. Fish stores don't care about this and are all about making money. Some are good, especially the mom and pop places but all of them can give bogus advice at times.

Craigs list is ok but why not Aquabid.com This is a good place with experienced fish keepers looking for fish and you might make a few bucks at the same time. Aslo, you can place an add on this forum and see if anyone wants it. Some people have a really hard time finding them in their town.

The betta will be fine in a 5 gallon with a light filter and water changes. I would also recommend staying with live or frozen foods and the betta bites because of a trend I have seen with alot of bettas in community tanks becoming bloated from too much food or the wrong foods as the betta will eat anything you put in.

#13 ·
Thanks! I will post an ad and see what happens.
The betta is pretty shy and hides under the plants if the light gets left on for any length of time. I've only been feeding him every other day as he doesn't seem hungry enough to eat every day....just lets it fall to the bottom. But he is so pretty when he does come out!

#15 ·
I have 2 bettas in a 10 gallon and (stupidly) bought a gorgeous clown pleco to help with algae. Soon I realised he needed a far bigger tank so I went over to scotland (im in Ireland) to give my fish to this nice lady with a large wooded tank! (Ok, I was going to Ikea too)..

But don't kill it, just offer it to someone.. AE and bettas do get on, but only in a suitable sized tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.