Betta Fish Forum banner

So I found an extrodinary tank today...

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
It had a bright red betta male, a lot of little silver fish, and 4 FEMALE BETTAS.

Everyone was getting along really well! it was actually surprising! I really want to get girls now for my Suzu :) they were all just swimming together and chilling! I took pictures on my phone, and i'll try putting it up here soon!

P.S. this was at a local petclub!

#2 ·
I think 95% of members here will advice you against it, as males can kill females and visa versa. Not something worth risking imho. The only time I have seen this done was when its siblings who grow up together and come from mild genes. Seiko scary.

#4 ·
I have read about some breeders in Singapore who just leave an entire spawn together from fry to maturity. Varied success of course.

My bad LFS keeps females together with Tetras, but no males. Only the other day he was asking me if I wanted a couple of betta females to put into my 6g. Quote:

"Oh he'll chase and nip them around like any guy going after a girl, but they'll settle down and learn to live together. You may even end up with some babies if you're lucky"

I took that with a grain of salt, as this is the same LFS who has a divided trough tank full of male Bettas, covered with ick. I can't say with certaintly that it may not be possible, or for how long - but most advise against it to err on caution.

I can't disagree with erring on caution :)

#5 ·
well yea, im not going to put like 4 girls in with my one betta, but they were getting along from what I saw. none of the girls had stress stripes and the male was just floating around. I'm just thinking about different things to do with my tank since I'm cycling it right now.

#7 ·
I like the idea of a male betta, living in a female sorority. lushly planted, pristine waters, and little dancing rainbows. too good to be true? yeah. I like the idea, and all, but I wouldn't do it. The male will kill the girls. I just hope my upcoming sorority goes well. As long as there are caves, and plants the females will be fine, right?

#9 ·
Well usually bettas were in rice paddies in the wild, some of which are acres upon acres. They could avoid one another and set up their own territories, and when another betta entered that territory they were able to defend it, maybe fight for a few moments, but as with most territorial animals, adequate displays of power, bluffing, and minimal fighting usually establishes who is boss in the area.

#10 ·
To expand on what GreenTea is talking about, this is why sibling tanks can sometimes work. They grow up in this community. It would be foolish and impossible among fish that have probably been cupped since they were practically free swimming. There are certain rules they would have to learn, that they really couldn't living in isolation.

#12 ·
Male with females work, realistically you'd need a community tank that's say oh 55+gallons then have a few other types of fish in shoals and then have like 1 male and like 3 females all having their own corner of the tank. Really its all about how much space, if they can't get away and if there are not other distractions say a well planted/hidey hole community tank then you take the odds from say 50% working to like 5% chance of working.

#13 ·
Well, I agree. In a 55g it can be done. I've done it in a 39, but it took lots of time to get my old male, Deuce to be ok with such a setup. Still don't reccomend it. for the larger audiences.

#14 ·
1 male with MULTIPLE females is fine...the agression is spread out provided the tank is big enough.

#16 ·
well I dont know if theyre siblings, but I really doubt it. i went back there today, and all the females and male are still intack and they were getting along fine :)

#18 ·
I have noticed, that my two female sisters, tend to stick and play together, and the other two sisters do the same... they tend not to like to bump into each other but they do tolerate. Madame, had no siblings, and she is a righteous little bugger to the other girls...

#19 ·
Well I've put a male in a tank with his children once they grew up...remember he hadn't seen them since they were barely learning to swim so when he got in there with his now grown offspring there was somewhat of a hostile attitude toward his largest and dominant son....but once they had an initial flare off the son backed down and the peace maintained. So no sibs won't gang up. In fact that same spawn is still living together (dad passed away).

#20 ·
hey not bad... Yeah my girl, although is a half sister to the others, doesn't like them. She beats them up o_O well that and she killed my snail x.x she will just have to be a loner female betta I guess. The other girls tolerate each other :p actually kind of cute seeing how they interact...

#21 ·
Siblings from different spawns won't act very nicely towards older or younger siblings from different spawns. That's why I only reccomend spawn siblings that have been together their whole life.

#22 · (Edited)
I noticed that with my girls :) the four "were" from the same spawn, separated into bowls, and have not seen each other for 2 months. But, they are getting better... just they stick with their "buddy" lol.

So... if I wanted to get another female, I'd have to have her in a separate tank then hey? D:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.