Betta Fish Forum banner

Hello from Buffalo NY

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  NoahG 
#1 ·
#2 ·
And Hello from Plattsburgh, NY.

I have never used top fin tanks but I would recommend getting something larger than that. I would say 2.5 gallons is better and a 5 gallon is ideal but I know many people do not have much space. A 1 gallon tank like that one requires a lot more water changes, which means more stress for your fish because he'll have to be removed a lot. At least two water changes will be made during the week with that size, one partial and one full.

I always felt that "betta water" is a scam. There is no such thing as water exclusively for betta fish. Not to mention, those bottles are small and will not fill several gallons. Costly and a gimmick, I would stick with tap water and Prime Water Conditioner for best and cheapest results.

Enjoy your stay!

#6 ·
Hello from Buffalo NY as well!

The problem I see with that tank (as well as most others) is that it's not heated. Bettas really need warm water to thrive - much warmer than room temperature. A buffalo winter will freeze them to death. What you really want is to make sure you buy a tank large enough that you can heat it.

I've used 2 gallon critter keepers from Petco or Petsmart in the past, but I've had the best luck with a 5 gallon tank that allows me to put in a 50W heater that will keep a steady temperature. Most heaters for small tanks don't let you adjust the temperature, they just claim to raise it 5 degrees from room temperature. That's fine if you live somewhere where the temperature is constant, but I know that you don't.

If you get a 5 gallon tank, you can also fit a divider in it and keep 2 bettas in 1 tank, if you like. It will require 2x the decor, though, to make sure they each have PLENTY of hiding spots. If they're always in view of the other they will get too stressed.

Good luck! And by the way - Elmwood Pet Supplies on Elmwood (between W. Ferry and Breckenridge) is a GREAT fish store and can offer up really stellar fish advice. Please don't listen to anyone at chain pet stores, never forget that fish are a business to them!

#7 ·
Hello from Buffalo NY as well!

The problem I see with that tank (as well as most others) is that it's not heated. Bettas really need warm water to thrive - much warmer than room temperature. A buffalo winter will freeze them to death. What you really want is to make sure you buy a tank large enough that you can heat it.

I've used 2 gallon critter keepers from Petco or Petsmart in the past, but I've had the best luck with a 5 gallon tank that allows me to put in a 50W heater that will keep a steady temperature. Most heaters for small tanks don't let you adjust the temperature, they just claim to raise it 5 degrees from room temperature. That's fine if you live somewhere where the temperature is constant, but I know that you don't.

If you get a 5 gallon tank, you can also fit a divider in it and keep 2 bettas in 1 tank, if you like. It will require 2x the decor, though, to make sure they each have PLENTY of hiding spots. If they're always in view of the other they will get too stressed.

Good luck! And by the way - Elmwood Pet Supplies on Elmwood (between W. Ferry and Breckenridge) is a GREAT fish store and can offer up really stellar fish advice. Please don't listen to anyone at chain pet stores, never forget that fish are a business to them!
Very good advice and I agree, but I have to point out just one small thing "If they're always in view of the other they will get too stressed."
I have to disagree. IME and own knowledge, bettas will eventually stop flaring at one another when they are in veiw of one another for a longer period of time.

If you separate them and have them secluded, then re-introduce them (with a divider) to each other again, they will flare again and stop in a few days or a week.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum: it's a great place. :)

I only live about three hours from Buffalo -- it's always kind of interesting seeing other people from Upstate on here, though maybe that's just a quirk of mine.

Anyways, as to the tanks, I actually have that 1-gallon tank for my guy whose fins are growing out, except I bought the one with LEDs (for about two bucks more) because I liked the idea of LEDs better than an incandescent, especially for that size tank. Personally, I'm really liking the tank and so is Sharkfin.

If you want to go with a 2.5-gallon, PetSmart also has a 2.5-gallon glass tank with a glass canopy; it's labeled as a Top Fin, but is made my Marineland (a company I really like, personally). I have my other two guys in those and really like them. I haven't compared them to the 2.5 Aqueon's as far as dimensions, but I feel like they're longer -- could be wrong. My pet care manager, however, has the Aqueon for her Betta and really likes it, as do others on this site, so if you like that one better then go for it.

I actually don't find my small tanks all that difficult to heat properly. For the longest time I was able to get away with a preset 10-watt for my 2.5s until we suddenly got a hot day. I have a 25-watt adjustable Hydor Theo in with Sharkfin that holds his tank pretty steady, which I was glad for because of the size of it (1-gallons can be trickier to heat). My girls have 25-watt adjustable Elites, but the Hydor is smaller and actually has a temperature scale, whereas the Elites seem to work more on a "power" (not the word I want, but it works) basis, if that makes sense.

I ordered two more Hydors for my other boys to replace their 10-watts since weather has been all over the place here and I just don't want to take the chance. Eheim Jager also makes an adjustable 25-watt that, I believe, has a temperature scale as well and I've heard nothing but good about that brand -- I would have ordered at least one of those as well but I wanted one day shipping and what I could find on Amazon didn't have any shipping deals for Amazon Prime. On Amazon though the prices between the two are otherwise very comparable.

Be sure to also get a thermometer: the glass ones that you suction cup (or you can float, or some sink and rest on the bottom) are going to be better than the ones that adhere to the outside. They'll read the water temperature itself more accurately. They're only three bucks at PetSmart.

As for the Betta water, I agree: it's basically just pre-conditioned/treated water, so a small bottle of SeaChem Prime is a much better value. As I tell customers at work: that stuff will last you forever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.