Betta Fish Forum banner

breeding question

4K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  tenpaull 
#1 ·
i just bred my pair and it happened overnight.
Last night, the bubble nest was full and intact, but when i checked it when i woke up.. most of it has vanished! so now the eggs are on the floor, under the styro cup i put for the bubble nest. Is this an inability of the male? should I remove the male since he's not picking them up anyway? thank you for your replies!

#4 ·
hi
well if he has put them back into the nest,then leave him too it
and see what happens,you may have a happy ending after all.
:)

#18 ·
Haha! That would only be possible if i name them Fish1, Fish2,.. :))
However, it is a fairly small brood and I am looking at least 50 fries only.
It could be a good thing so as a first timer I can look after them more intensely:)

UPDATES!:
Day 4:
From a few little swimmers last night, they are a LOT of them to be seen swimming now. ( A heartwarming sight for me;) )
Makes me feel all my effort payed off.
Started feeding them Microworms however, i think they still prefer the infusoria and the small bits of food stuck in the filter.
I always see them hanging around the area whrein the filter and the plants are.
Wondering how much to feed(MW) can anyone help? pictures will be great.
Right now i scoop up the sides of my culture with a wooden stick and i drop the MW in the water directly.
That's all for now !

#19 ·
dead mommy

I have very sad news :(
The female who gave birth to my current spawn just passed away. :((
Yesterday i saw her with white stuff on her side, much like fungus but very aggressive since it looks like as if it has eaten her tissues already. and on that area of the body, "pine cone-ing" of the scales was also observed. I do not think it is Dropsy because the pine cone-ing was localized to the infected area. what could be the cause? is it just fungus? I medicated her with meth blue, and salt as soon as i diagnosed her. Please note that this happened overnight. The disease spread rather quickly.

Before i put her into the "hospital" container. I put her in a container where she was supposed to recover from the 'mating ritual' during the spawn. However, after 2-3 days she developed the so called fungus. I did water changes every other day(partial) to keep her water clean so she can recover from the fin damage.

What could be the disease? This has caused me 2 fatalities already, almost 3 but I think i was able to save the other one, (with the same medication).
Help me please guys! It looks awful and I don't want it to happen again!

#22 ·
Hi Tenpaull

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother Betta.

Also sorry that I don't feel I have enough experience to help you with the problem you are describing. I do have a suggestion though. If you are not receiving a response to these new questions regarding the problem. Try posting it as a new topic. Include of course all the usual info about the tanks , size, water parameters, temp. etc. Hope this helps some.

Thank you for the update on the little ones, it is exciting to hear about there progress.

#24 ·
Day 9!

Went out of town for the weekend, had my househelp feed my fry
Noticed more than usual wrigglers in the water, siphoned them out.
removed some of theIndian Almond Leaves in the water, i feel like they are starting to degrade the water quality..
Siphoned out some stuff I believe to be infusoria, but not all.
Turned the sponge filter up a bit, i don't know why. haha!

As usual, the growth rate is very irregular. I heard males grow faster than females. If this is true, it's a good sign for me since there are more bigger fry than small ones ;)
Had a hard time with hatching BBS but managed to salvage some.Anybody know the right salinity level for hatching BBS? thank you!

That's all for now! :D I don't know if there are still people reading this thread though. haha! :))

P.S. I want to put a snail in the fry tank, would this be beneficial or detrimental to my fry? :D thanks!

#25 ·
hay there
glad that the fry are doing well. :)
don't know about the snails though,
maybe someone will pop in with an idea,or you could PM bettababy
she's fab with Bettas.
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.