Betta Fish Forum banner

new here and just set up the tank

2K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  MrVampire181 
#1 ·
i got a 5gal tank since space was limited. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752239&lmdn=Aquarium+Size
2 small fabric plants, a little rock cave thing and i bought some food and water conditioner but wanted recommendations on what food and water conditioner was best.

I have it all set up and have the filter going and the lamp on to help heat up the water. How long should i wait before adding the betta (i have two females.) The fish person said they could go right in, but that sounded odd to me.

#2 ·
You can't have 2 females. You can have 1 in there, but not 2. They will fight and may kill eachother. The only chance of them getting along is in a larger tank with 4 or more of them. I suggest putting one in there and one in a different container. Even if you were able to put a divider in there, it would be a lot better. They can't go in together, sorry.

#4 ·
hmmmm everything i read said two females were fine together, but not two males. i really dont have the space for another tank either. this sucks

You can divide the tank

#6 ·
You can buy or make your own.

#10 ·
I would just get the divider. That way you don't have to return a female.

#11 ·
If you really want to keep both fish, then you can divide the tank. I doubt they sell dividers for that small of a tank (they have all kinds at all pet stores).
I would suggest making it, here is the DIY for a divider. It's cheap and easy to make. http://www.fishforum.com/diy-aquarium/diy-aquarium-tank-dividers-21866/

Also, I would suggest getting a heater if you can't keep the water at a steady 78-80 degrees F.

#12 ·
i was looking at the dividers and the smallest they are for is 10 gal tanks so i guess i get to make one. I found the tutorial here though so thats good. I assume i need to get a cave for each side now. the cave i have now is two big if i am dividing the tank. wonder if they will let me return it if i put it in a tank (no fish were in there so i would hope so)

#17 ·
Poor female has to go back :(

Why can't you keep her?

#18 ·
My hubby was not happy when i told him how much i had spent on everything. He refused to let me spend more money on the supplies to make a divider and to get two rock caves for the two separate sides.

I couldn't convince him since it was a battle to get fish in the first place (over a year of me wanting fish for our two little kids)

#21 ·
well we returned the one betta and as a special treat afterwards I bought the kids milk at starbucks and let them drink it out of cups with straws (hey that's awesome to toddlers)

so i just have the one betta now. thinking i will call her opal since she's that iridescent white/pink color.

i'm still waiting for the water in the tank to get up to room temperature. She came in a cup so how do i introduce her to the tank? should i put her in a ziplock bag or is there a way to float the cup in there?

#24 ·
My cups always float, so I don't worry about it. I hold it for about a minute, make sure it's floating and leave them there for about 30 minutes, then introduce them to the tank. They've all been fine.

#26 ·
The cups will float.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.