Betta Fish Forum banner

2 Gallon Tank, Heater Needed? + Other Question...

4K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Kim 
#1 ·
I have about a two gallon tank, maybe more or less, for my two Betta's.

- Right now their tank temperature is at about... 69 degrees? Which I believe is too cold. I purchased a mini-heater, which I think I'll use... but I'd like another opinion. Should I use the heater? Especially if I'm planning on moving their tank back to my room, where it's a tad colder than my dining room where they are now..
- Also, they haven't been eating much. I'll put in their pellets, or flakes, and they never seem to eat anything! I've had them for about a week, and they swim around and whatnot, but never eat... Grr!
- Any other tips? Recommendations? I'm totally new to the betta world, so any help I can get would be great.

Thanks! :)

#2 ·
yeah deff use the heater set the temp to 76F when fish are cold they eat less because their metabolism is slowed it's how coi hibernate in frozen ponds or snakes in the winter .. same principle

#7 ·
You think they should be separated? I'll try and work on that...

...So what else should I do? Because apparently, my betta are NOT healthy. At the pet store that I got them though, it said they could survive in a ONE QUART container, so I figured a two gallon for two would be fine, and the pet store agreed. And they told me that it didn't need a heater, which I'm now learning is not good... I put in a mini heater which should bump the temperature to about 71. Should I move them into a bigger tank, and buy a bigger heater?

Ah. I was told betta's would be low-mantinance fish, and I wouldn't have to spend much. I'm not learning that's not true...

#8 ·
Actually, once you get them set up in the proper tank type they are a pretty low maintainence fish.
I also feel that you need to get them separated and kept at a steady temp of at least 80 for their optimum health. If you're able to get them separate set-ups that would be ideal. You can always look on craigslist for tanks. I always see great deals on tanks on that site. I'm sorry that you were given such poor information at the pet store. :-(

#9 ·
They are prly the lowest maintenance fish I know, but they still need work! Also, do you use water conditioner? What do you feed them? Can you get another 2 gallon for the other female? I hardly consider it enough for one betta!

#10 ·
I feed them pellets, although I just got some flakes. Neither fish seems to eat though, and yes, I use water conditioner.

I can work on getting another tank for the betta's, but one is NOT looking good... I just cleaned the tank the other day, and put in a heater today so the water temperature is slowly going up, but (if you read my other question) one is getting a fungus on it, I think.

#14 ·
They can also be fed freeze dried or frozen bloodworms, daphnia and brine shrimp. Freeze dried food needs to be rehydrated to prevent digestive problems. These foods should only be fed as once or twice a week treats. I agree with Cody about the lfs people. They'll tell you all kinds of stuff that isn't true.

#19 ·
Good luck with them. Either try to get a bigger tank and put a divider in, or another smaller tank. Craigslist is the best :) i learned putting a want ad actually works better than expected.
A lot of the time, when you first get bettas *maybe fish in general?* they won't eat for a while, mine seemed to be 2 weeks! the main problem is they are stressed, getting situated, getting used to the new water and such. don't worry about them not eating right now, they will when they get hungry. they are just stressed.
i also had to learn with one of my smallest that he won't eat if i am watching him. i have to leave the room for him to venture out far enough to eat * i got to see him eat for the first time yesterday! yay*
And once they get set up they are fairly inexpensive. Do you have a filter? if not i suggest weekly 20%-30%, depending on how bad it is, weekly or smaller amounts twice a week.
Don't worry they will adapt! just give them time.

and lots of good luck! pics?

#24 ·
I use frozen. No way of inhaling those!! I like to gross my parents out with them...it's kind of funny to watch their reaction when you stick a plate of big red bloodworms under their nose..hehe.

#26 ·
That's what I always say!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.