Betta Fish Forum banner

Viviparis malleatus/Japanese trapdoor snails for sale

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Skyewillow 
#1 ·
I have searched and searched the web and nowhere did I find anything that said I need a permit to ship these...

These guys will grow into 2-3 inch snails. They are NOT assexual nor do they lay eggs. The females give live birth to one snail at a time.

These guys are good for larger tanks and outdoor ponds. I wouldn't Put the juveniles into anything smaller then a 5 gallon and I highly recommend a filtered tank for them as they will get BIG and they are snails so they will poop alot.

The Japanese Trapdoor Snail is a great asset for controlling pond algae. It is one of the few varieties that can survive Northern winters. The Japanese Trapdoor Snail will keep your pond plants groomed with minimal damage to the plants. They also clean up the sides of ponds and water gardens, feeding on uneaten fish food and decaying debris on the pond floor. The Japanese Trapdoor Snail makes a great overall pond cleaner.
NOTE: unlike mystery/apple snails they do have some odd behaviors. They do like to lay on their back with their meaty parts sticking out AND they sometimes float with the meaty part on the surface water. THEY ARE NOT DEAD IF THEY DO THIS. I am not sure, exactly, what they are doing when they behave like this - I suspect feeding on something in the water??

ADULT climbing up the side of a tank...you would be getting juviniles, not the adults.

The 2 adults are not for sale, you would be getting the smaller juvenile snails - just be warned that they can grow up into a 3 inch snail.

I have read on some forums that some people cant keep them alive. I highly suspect the reason for that is because they did not feed them thinking they could live off of only the algae that grows in the tank. I feed mine algae waffers and cucumer/zucchini and have yet to find a dead snail.

Shipping may be delayed due to high temps. I know they can take the cold but not sure how much heat they can handle.

$1.50/snail OR 5 for $6. I will add in an extra snail or two just in case something happens during shipping.

See less See more
#3 ·
Just to add...I find that all snails like to swim at the surface of the water with their "meaty" body facing upward.

P.S. Tikibirds I didn't notice you were only 2 hours away from me!

#5 ·
What is shipping on 5 snails? I've been wanting to get some of these for a while.

#6 ·
1) yes I will accept cash payments :D, although paypal is much safer

2) I'm going to say shipping is about $10 for priority, maybe a little more

3) Hackensack trails? Do you mean to Hackensack Mountain?
http://www.upyondafarm.com/PDF_files/brochure final.pdf
I have never been up there :shock: There are also alot of other trails in the adirondack state park.

#7 ·
Tiki if you have 10 of the babies, I'd like to buy them. I'll mail you my info and get yours. I've got 11 tanks to spread them around in, lol.

#8 ·
Looks like Molly got the last of them for now. I do have more but they are still very small and I think of the the adults is breeding again.

I seem to be finding very small ones every day. Not really sure about how many young they produce but I read somewhere they they will breed, the female will produce a new baby every day for a few days and then they cant breed for several months? No idea how true that is though

#14 ·
I still have some left if anyone is interested but keep in mind if the temps are too cold, it will delay shipping

I would also be willing to trade for other snail species

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.