Betta Fish Forum banner

What to choose...

2K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  crowntaillove3 
#1 ·
Getting a new fish tomorrow! I would love to have some good suggestions in my back pocket when I'm looking for a bowl and some accessories. I already have food and conditioner. Please- only things less than $25 that are available at Pet Smart! Thanks.

#2 ·
Sorry change of opinion: I don't want a bowl, it warps the image! I meant a tank. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.

#4 ·
Kritter Keepers are good and cheap. Maximum is $15 and the XL is 5 gallons. I already told you in your other thread. Get the biggest tank you can get.

#6 ·
Thanks! I'll make sure to keep that in mind. And I'm only interested in a tank from one to two gallons.

#8 ·
Is $25 all you have for the entire setup or just the tank/decor itself? For just the tank and a few plants and a cave or two, thats certainly doable, however you're still going to need a heater which is going to run you roughly $20+ for a nice, reliable adjustable one(which I would highly recommend....those present/pad heaters tend to be very unreliable).
If $25 is all you have for absolutely everything, heater included, then I would suggest waiting and saving up a little more before you get your fish so you can provide it with a good, proper home right from the start. :) I know it can be so tempting, but it'll be much better for you and the fish in the long run to be a little patient.

#9 ·
Sorry for the confusion. I meant $25 an item. For the entire setup, I don't want to spend more than $50. Thanks.

#10 ·
I would be willing to spend a little bit more, though.

#12 ·
Ah! Well fantastic, you have a nice budget there then. ;)

Anyway, if you don't want a Kritter/Pet Keeper(which would be your cheapest option), then check and see what they've got on sale in the 2-2.5 gallon range(bigger is always better though of course....any particular reason for wanting the smaller tank?). I would go as close to 2 gallons as you can, 1 gallon is a little small as a long-term home with the exception of some special cases.
For something just at Petsmart, a Kritter/Pet Keeper is going to be the cheapest though.
Not sure what a standard glass 2.5 costs there, never looked myself...but though probably more expensive then a KK, I can't imagine is over $25 itself. xD If you're really against the KK, I'd go with that like FishyFishy suggested.

For a cheap cave or two, pick up some Terracotta/clay pots from your local craft store(I know, not Petsmart...but its really worth it. You can save several bucks here). Rinse them well under hot water, remove the tag, stuff a bit of filter sponge in he hold in the bottom or knock the bottom out completely and you have a nice cave or two for under a buck each. ;)
You can also use coffee mugs for caves as well. Just rinse it VERY VERY well in hot water and scrub it with a plain paper towel, then let it soak in boiling/near boiling water for a bit, just to make sure there is no harmful residue on it if you're using a used one. For a new one, just rinse it really well, maybe let it soak.

If you have a Petco around, I'm a big fan of their silk plants. I would suggest heading there for that instead of Petsmart if you can. In comparison to others I've seen, they're the nicest and fullest and a bit on the cheaper end.

Oh! Also, substrate.....a bag of gravel doesn't cost much, but if you're going for an unfilered/uncycled tank(which I assume you are in that size) then glass marbles are the way to go.....you can get a couple bags for your tank for like....$3 each at your local craft store as well, generally a little cheaper then the ones at Petsmart/Petco, but really the same thing.

I know not all my suggestions are from Petsmart....but I figure I'd toss them our there anyway. Even if you have to make a couple extra stops, saving a few bucks can never hurt right?

#18 ·
Ah! Well fantastic, you have a nice budget there then. ;)

Anyway, if you don't want a Kritter/Pet Keeper(which would be your cheapest option), then check and see what they've got on sale in the 2-2.5 gallon range(bigger is always better though of course....any particular reason for wanting the smaller tank?). I would go as close to 2 gallons as you can, 1 gallon is a little small as a long-term home with the exception of some special cases.
For something just at Petsmart, a Kritter/Pet Keeper is going to be the cheapest though.
Not sure what a standard glass 2.5 costs there, never looked myself...but though probably more expensive then a KK, I can't imagine is over $25 itself. xD If you're really against the KK, I'd go with that like FishyFishy suggested.

For a cheap cave or two, pick up some Terracotta/clay pots from your local craft store(I know, not Petsmart...but its really worth it. You can save several bucks here). Rinse them well under hot water, remove the tag, stuff a bit of filter sponge in he hold in the bottom or knock the bottom out completely and you have a nice cave or two for under a buck each. ;)
You can also use coffee mugs for caves as well. Just rinse it VERY VERY well in hot water and scrub it with a plain paper towel, then let it soak in boiling/near boiling water for a bit, just to make sure there is no harmful residue on it if you're using a used one. For a new one, just rinse it really well, maybe let it soak.

If you have a Petco around, I'm a big fan of their silk plants. I would suggest heading there for that instead of Petsmart if you can. In comparison to others I've seen, they're the nicest and fullest and a bit on the cheaper end.

Oh! Also, substrate.....a bag of gravel doesn't cost much, but if you're going for an unfilered/uncycled tank(which I assume you are in that size) then glass marbles are the way to go.....you can get a couple bags for your tank for like....$3 each at your local craft store as well, generally a little cheaper then the ones at Petsmart/Petco, but really the same thing.

I know not all my suggestions are from Petsmart....but I figure I'd toss them our there anyway. Even if you have to make a couple extra stops, saving a few bucks can never hurt right?
I would be willing to get a tank up to 5 gallons...I only have a desk top space, and with heavy homework and projects, I kind of need space left over...

#14 ·
SO I am almost positive that petsmart will pricematch.
Petco has an add for a 2.5 aqueon mini bow acrylic tank KIT for $20, print that out and bring that in with you and see if they will honor it (most stores do but some managers will not for some reason) that would be your best bet, it has everything you need with it other than the heater. I'm planning to go in tomorrow and grab 3 of those myself if they honor the price match.

#15 ·
Thanks for all of the helpfull advice! Off to petsmart!

#17 ·
I'll be sure to post a pic!

#19 ·
Haha, gottcha. Space can be a little tight sometimes, I can completely understand. Not everyone can squeeze a 10-20 gallon somewhere. XD

5 gallons is a good size for a single betta though, and the footprint of most isn't all that much larger. Heck, I have three 5 gallons on my own desk! xD
If you can bump up the size to something closer to a 5 gallon its going to make things a LOT easier for you as you can filter and cycle at this size, which in the long term will cut you down to weekly partial 50% water changes rather then having to do 2-3 changes per week, including a 100%. Especially if you're a busy person, which it sounds like you are with all that homework and projects and such, this is really going to help you out in the long run.

At Petsmart, the Top fin 5.5 gallon kits that come with a hood/light and filter is a few bucks more at $30, but it looks like its on sale(at least online).
I'm not sure what a plain glass 5.5 costs, but the 10 it looks like is $14 so I'd say the 5.5 is going to run about the same/couple bucks cheaper, but you'd still need a hood and filter and such. Not sure if thats cheaper then the kit all together though.

If you'd be willing to stop by Petco, they're having their $1 per gallon sale now, which would put a regular glass 5.5 gallon at about $5. Then you've got PLENTY of leftovers for a hood/light and filter.

Oh! Also, if you'd be willing to head to Walmart, they have a 5 gallon kit thats around $20 or so. Its a really nice little Acrylic tank, which would be a little lighter then glass, though you'll want to replace the filter that comes with it. I just ordered one myself for Christmas, its very nice. :)

#20 ·
My fish are now in their tank! I got a 2.5 gallon tank with a divider, so I purchased 2 fish; Fireheart and Spikefin, the crowntail males. The tank has red gravel and there are 2 fake plants in each side. The fish are swimming and they are happy to be home!

#21 ·
Congrats on the new boys and the new tank! I bet they are happy to be out of those cups and in a warm, clean environment. xD

However, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but a 2.5 is much to small to divide as a permanent home. To divide for two fish long-term, you need at least a 5 gallon.....so if you don't have room for another 2-2.5 gallon tank, it would be best to upgrade to a 5 gallon in he near future(like within the next couple of months). If you can't upgrade, and you can't get another tank...it would probably be best to just return your second fish.

#22 ·
I seperated them...Spikefin is in his own bowl, and Fireheart is in the original tank without the divider.

#23 ·
Spikefin, the boy in the bowl
Fish Freshwater aquarium Tail

#24 ·
Fireheart, the boy in the tank (he is really a cambodian the pic isn't that great)
Leaf Botany Plant Organism Flower

#25 ·
PANIC!!!!!!!!!! The water in SF's bowl is only one inch to the top! He has a lamp, which covers most of the opening, but I've heard that they can jump! Is he okay? If not, what should I do?

#27 ·
I'll be sure to keep that in mind! But is a lid needed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.