Betta Fish Forum banner

I must resist the urge

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  lunawatsername 
#1 ·
I wonder why I am so addicted to Bettas. I only have one. But anytime I have a Betta fish. I can never seem to be satisfied with just one. Usually I need at least 2.

I really don't have anywhere to put another Betta fish. But I really want to get one more. I have to resist the urge...but I don't know how long I will be able to hold out for.

#2 ·
i know exactly what you mean... i got my first betta 2 weeks ago, my second 1 week ago, and i am now half planning for a betta sorority.. its like the plague, but with fish o.o

#3 ·
I started with 2 in probably February of this year, I now have 7 my sister has one and my mom has one! LOL

If you really can't resist the urge, try to hold out for the one that really calls to you.

#5 ·
If you really can't resist the urge, try to hold out for the one that really calls to you.
This.

And I know what you mean... I think they have addictive properties once you get into properly taking care of them. I never would've gotten so into them had I not bothered to read this forum about proper care and seen my first fishy come alive as much as he did.

It took me a while to find the perfect female but I sooo did and it was soooo worth the wait for her. Find the one that makes your heart skip a beat. <3

#4 ·
I had the same betta for 3 years, and then he passed. I knew I needed another one because my fish tank was just not the same without a betta. I got a little guy who I named Halo from a pet store, but he was kinda "tilty"... I thought he was so beautiful though. He died within 2 days... :( A month or so later I really started getting that naggy "need a betta" feeling... I was on AB all the time, and one night went to a pet store with y boyfriend to see if I could find one I liked... I came home with 2... a few weeks later, I bought a female off AB... and now I am trying to find another male. On top of that, my boyfriend, who has never owned pets or liked fish for that matter, now wants a Black Fire betta, and a Royal Blue halfmoon. LOL I got him hooked!

#6 ·
i'm at 8, and i've already the itch for another. but, i keep telling myself, i've no where to put another! so, hopefully, that'll hold me off on buying another. xD bad thing? we're going to the pet store tomorrow, so my brother can get his delta dragon a new heater. >.> must.... resist....

#7 ·
the pet store is a dangerous place for a fish addict lol. like n the petco by my house, you cant go to the fish section without walking right past a whole bunch of bettas.... thats how i got my girl. she was so cute and her cup was so dirty, i didnt have a choice lol :-D

#9 ·
I feel like one of those crazy cat ladies. Like the ones that hoards like 100 cats in her house because she just can't seem to stop at one cat.

But I do know that I really want a female betta. Gahhhh.

On another note, it seems like a lot of you have had pleasant experiences using Aquabid. I have never even heard of that place until browsing the forums here. But it seems legitimate.

#10 ·
I understand the feeling :) I have 10...I have no room to talk about resisting the urge...but I do like the idea of waiting for that one Fishy that u can't forget...I did that will almost all of mine and im glad I did...im proud of your control..good luck on resisting or finding your dream betta

#11 ·
That urge is a good buddy of mine. I met him about 5 years ago when my mother bought me my first Betta for my 10th birthday.. Before my fishroom was destroyed, cause still unknown, about 3 months ago I had 17 males and 14 females that were breeding stock and 12 pet bettas and 2 batches of fry.. Not including 4 20gs worth of Mollies and other fish.. Now I have 6 wonderful pet bettas, 3 of them survivors of the blowout..and all my mollies... So...your new friend urge is just now getting started. haha

#12 ·
i know i will be one of those crazy pet owners with like 500 animals, and when other people talk about their kids ill pull out a 5 pound scrapbook of every animal ive ever owned xDDDD jkjk but i know i have very little self control hen it comes to taking animals in lol

#14 ·
LMAO!!!! (@ the 5 pound scrapbook)

The urge is an evil and expensive thing!!! I would say most of us have the urge to buy more (if not all of us!). If I could I would have like 50 male bettas. I have been really good lately and haven't really bought much in the last month (at least betta related).

My sorority is about to move to a 72 gallon though which means female betta buying spree! Woohoo! My 29 long is opening up though when the sorority moves. Can we say divide in half and put in 2 giants. Hello! Lol! (My husband actually suggested that. I can't argue!)

#13 ·
Ha! Yeaaahhhh I totally caved. Bought another female off aquabid. Its very addictive so if u already have a problem, I suggest not visiting the site. You *will* see a betta you want and after your first time bidding, you *will* do it again in a short period of time. (Assuming you have the cash)... :) btw, my new female is amazing. I'm so super pumped. :D

#15 · (Edited)
The last couple times I went to petco I've seen this amazing black dragon king who I really wanted but I keep needing to tell myself I don't have anywhere to put him.

lol I keep thinking of ideas of why I could buy him, like dividing my 48 gallon with my HM king, but I could never take space from my cichlid who I love dearly. Then I ask myself, well couldn't I just put the divider in my 2.5 until I have a place to put him, but I could never do that to my female who loves that little tank XD

I really want someone to buy him already, it's kinda sad seeing him every time I go to petco. I did tell myself if I see him starting to get sick I would buy him since he would probably be on death row at that point and keep him in my little quarantine tank that hooks on the side of my big tank(it sits in the water so it's still the same temp) until he gets better and find a place for him, even if it means giving him to a friend :)

#18 ·
well, you lasted longer than i would have, if thats any consolation :D

#20 ·
aw thats a shame. :/ poor little thing doesnt know whats good for her lol but yay! new bettas! :-D

i have to go to petco eventually, im going to start my stocking up on plants and meds and stuff for when i start my sorority :D but i know as soon as i am there, ill be ogling the bettas:roll: im determined though, im not buying any until im closer to having the tank set up for them.... sigh. i can still stare at them for hours tho! :lol:

#21 ·
@lunawatsername

I do the same thing XD I had to sit and compare the dragon with a young HM, but it wasn't really a competition since I loved that dragon XD If my stepdad lets me take care of his 13 for him I might get that betta...

This is the betta I just got

#22 ·
:O sooo prettyyyyyy :D i love the color patterns, such pretty fishies :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.