Betta Fish Forum banner

What determines how dragonscales form?

674 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  wah543 
#1 ·
just out of curiosity, what determines how dragonscales form on a bettas face, like if they'll be a full mask or not? I've had a dragonscale with just a patch on his head that wasn't covered and now I have a dragonscale that has like a huge chunk of scales not covered on one side of his face. Do they like fall off when they're growing or something?

#2 ·
Pretty sure dragonscale refers to the look of an "extra set" of scales, though they really do not have an extra set. They have a thicker look to their body, unlike a metallic.

First picture is my dragonscale, second is a METALLIC baby from his spawn. See how instead of the bright sheen of metallic, "Ares" looks as if he were painted a solid color for his body and most of his face. While the fry does not have the solid look, and it does slide into his finnage moreso than the dragonscale.

If you post pictures of your bettas, we can tell you a lot better than just assuming from our imaginations ;-)

Attachments

#5 ·
Ok finally got some pictures. My old betta had a few scales like missing from his face

And one I have now has like a good chunk missing

What I'm asking is why on some bettas scales don't cover the entire face and on some bettas it covers the entire face
Sorry if the pictures are blurry

#6 ·
For the second betta, he may actually be missing scales... The first betta does have the dragonscale appearance on his face... I had a koi female who had the patches of white. The reason behind each unique coloration and pattern is just how people breed them I suppose.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Genetically dragons are said to be double metallic (some code them as ++). An individual with all the dragon alleles will exhibit the full dragon scaling (full masked dragons) but with partial alleles will only show partial scaling. In other words dragon x non dragon/ regular = regulars and partial dragons, dragons x metallic = metallic, partial dragons, and few dragons

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.