Betta Fish Forum banner

Is it bad to use a 5 gallon bucket?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Mal72 
#1 ·
I wanted to use one as a temporary house for a betta while I'm waiting for the tank to settle (it's NPT and the substrate made the water really cloudy). It is heated and I have a live plant inside of there, checked the water levels (ph etc), and made sure the bucket was clean before I put him in there. I just don't have any more tanks, at the moment!!! I made a top over it, so he could get sunlight (and breath) during the day, but was not able to get out. I just want to make sure it was okay?

#2 ·
Hey there,

It depends on the type of plastic that the bucket is made from as to whether it is fish safe or not however I have had to use buckets as temporary homes for fish before and have never had a problem so it should be fine..... just keep an eye on him, you should know pretty quick if something was wrong cause he would probably be very inactive laying on the bottom of the bucket.

#3 · (Edited)
There are a few questions that you need to ask yourself when putting a fish in a temporary home.
1. Can they get air
2. Is it the right temprature and can you check it?
3. Have you made sure that the fish can't get out? Even while feeding?
4. Can the fish get light so he/she can have a day/night schedule
5. Can the fish hide somewhere?
6. Would the container be safe for a HUMAN to eat/drink out of (I even go for microwave safe, but that's just me)
7. Is there enough room for the fish to move and turn around comfortaby? (even more if it is long term)
8. Is there enough water to keep amonia spikes down?
9. Did you check it and make sure there was no way that it could leak?
10. Is it made to where thing (bugs, pets, kids...) could not easily get in it or to it?
11. Could a bubbler or a filter be added if needed?
12. Is it inert and not made of a material that could harm it?
13. Was it well cleaned (not with soap!) beforehand?

If yes to all this, you should be fine

#4 · (Edited)
There are a few questions that you need to ask yourself when putting a fish in a temporary home.
1. Can they get air
2. Is it the right temprature and can you check it?
3. Can the fish get out?
4. Can the fish get light so he/she can have a day/night schedule
5. Can the fish hide somewhere?
6. Would the container be safe for a HUMAN to eat/drink out of (I even go for microwave safe, but that's just me)
7. Is there enough room for the fish to turn around comfortaby? (even more if it is long term)
8. Is there enough water to keep amonia spikes down?
9. Could it leak?
10. Could something (dust, bugs, pets, kids...) get in it?
be right back
Posted via Mobile Device
He is able to get air and like I said there is a few live plants (Java Moss, Anubias, etc) for him to hide underneath, I've treated the water with Stress Coat and done tests for PH and Nitrates---all of which were fine. He has plenty of swimming room (four gallons) and the cover is clear (with holes), so he is able to get light for 10-12 hours, as well. We bought the container strictly for the purpose of storing food and it has never been used for anything else. He is up away from any potential threats and nothing is inside--save for a snail that hitched a ride on one of the plants. I checked it for holes and it was good. The heater will not melt the plastic and it is currently @ 78 degrees. I cleaned it with hot water and vinegar before hand and rinsed it out throughly. I have a sponge filter, if he needs one and it could easily be rigged to be placed inside if the plants are not enough. This will only be for a day or two, but I'm not sure about the container altering the water chemistry. I would imagine not, because like I said it is a bucket that we purchased (military grade) to store food and to only store food. As in, you can actually dump rice or beans directly inside and they will be fine. I'm never actually used it for that, but that is what it was for...

#5 · (Edited)
Then you should be good to go! Just keep the checklist in mind if you ever need a temporary tank again. ;-)

Honestly, my very 1st question is would I eat out of this. If it's no (used mop bucket, flower pot, a plastic dish I have no clue where it's been), then I don't bother considering it. All of those have been used by other people. My mammaw's retirement home uses the mop buckets for pwc buckets too! *shutters* Some days I just want to go over there and overhall their tank :roll:
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
Then you should be good to go! Just keep the checklist in mind if you ever need a temporary tank again. ;-)

Honestly, my very 1st question is would I eat out of this. If it's no (used mop bucket, flower pot, a plastic dish I have no clue where it's been), then I don't bother considering it. All of those have been used by other people. My mammaw's retirement home uses the mop buckets for pwc buckets too! *shutters* Some days I just want to go over there and overhall their tank :roll:
Posted via Mobile Device
Ewwwww.:shock: I don't blame you! Honestly, I wasn't planning on buying another fish, but I saw him and fell in love, so what's one more? Luckily, my parents went through a bit of a doomsday phase, so we went to the base and bought up all kind of stuff and bought much more online. They said I could borrow it! :)

#7 · (Edited)
Sweet! Good for you and glad you have awesome parents that don't put down fishkeeping like so many do ;-)

If you ever swing by the main forum at tropicalfishkeeping.com swing by the thread I have on that tank begging for help on how to fix it. It's called "Nasty gravel, cloudy water, and no filter media!" I sware it just makes me feel gross lookin at it :shock:
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
we have a 5 gallon bucket for water changes that's SPECIFICALLY fish-safe (it even has slightly-accurate general fish care advice printed on it, and a big logo saying NO SOAP!) they sell them at some pet stores, that might be your best bet to be certain it'll be a safe temporary home.

#10 ·
I'll call around and see! I believe I have seen buckets like that though. They actually have self-heating buckets for watering horses in freezing temperatures, but unfortunately it doesn't say how much it heats up to, so I wouldn't trust it! Plus that would mean another plug for another outlet. With all my stuff, I already have more surge protectors and extension cords than a Fortune 500 company!

#11 ·
Well DK (Dark Knight) seems to be adjusting well to his temp home. Woke up to find him guarding a bubble nest (top left). I keep trying to photograph him under the nest, but he is a very shy fish. He is a Black half moon with green stripes on his tail and an irresdescent green on his body when it hits the light too. He's really pretty.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.