Betta Fish Forum banner

5 gal bucket...

627 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Alex09 
#1 ·
I am in the process of making water changing easier...if I was to go buy a 5 gal bucket, would it be okay to go to a hardware store and get a bucket or should I get one specifically for aquariums?

(Obviously, no matter were I get the bucket, I would wash it and rinse is very well.)

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
As long as the bucket is human grade safe or safe for food and/or water it will be fine....I like to get the 2.5gal buckets in the houseware/hardware dept at walmart for under $4.00....cheap and not as heavy to carry and/or pour from..I like to keep my fish cleaning stuff in it too.....I label all my stuff for fish "Fish Only" with a marker

I use the 5gal buckets too-I use them outside to catch rainwater, spawn in the warmer months and grow aquatic freshwater aquatic critters for my fish....

#5 ·
I got my 5 gal bucket from the hardware section At walmart. Before that, I used a bucket from home depot. Both worked fine and gave me no problems. I stopped using the home depo bucket when I found out my mom would fill it up with a solution of bleach and soap and use it to mop the floors :shock:

If you are really concerned, look under the bucket. There should be a number inside a triangle. Do research on what it means and It should tell you if it's safe or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.