Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2015, 02:16 AM   #3541 
PaperCoversRock

Just want to confirm this baby I got from Petco 5 months ago is indeed female? :) Another name change needed! This is my 2nd of 3 babies that have (assumingly?) turned out female.

PaperCoversRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:32 AM   #3542 
JHatchett

Yup, that's a girl.
JHatchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #3543 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

+1 to J
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #3544 
RedArizona

Hiya :3 I'm new to the world of betta but have been doing tons of research. It's going to take much time, but hopefully within the next year my friend and I plan to get a couple baby betta's for ourselves! I have read through the entire thread (Thank you everyone for all of the info!) and am recording all information I need to know. My friend and I plan to each get one. She might want one of the itty-bitties (I'm recommending her against it) I plan to get a semi-older, healthy looking little guy :D If you have any answers, I have a couple questions.

1- When I get my fish, I already have a ten gallon tank, would I have to get a smaller tank for it while it's still young or can I keep it in the ten gallon?
2- If I can keep it in the ten gallon, would a 50-70% water change every other day work with a 100% two times a week or should I do 100% every other day? (Sorry if these questions are a bit stupid)
3- How much does a heater and filter cost on average?
Thanks!! :3
RedArizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #3545 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey there Red, glad you found us here ^_^

1) No, keep it in the 10 gallon if you are able to. It's not true that smaller fish need or can be in smaller tanks. Babies are sensitive as you may have read, so having a larger, more stable tank (like a 10 gallon) will be much more healthy for your baby than to have it in a smaller tank.5.5 gallons would be okay too, but if you have the option, a 10 gallon is much better to use!

2) Never do a 100% on a baby betta or on a cycled tank. (Do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle? If not, look it up here! Or ask) A 25-50% would be adequate every other day if you keep live plants in the tank. Take care though when you add new water that it matches the old water best you can. No need to remove the baby during water changes.

3) Depends on where you look. I honestly would use a 50 Watt Hydor Theo heater from that link. And if you want other fish later on, use an AquaClear 20 either from the store or on that link. If you don't want other fish, then you can use a simple sponge filter and air pump which will create less flow for your baby to be pushed around in but still have good filtration: Sponge Filters and a Fairly Quiet Air Pump
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #3546 
RedArizona

Thanks Lil! Through reading the thread I've found your comments the most helpful, Im going to look at the filters you recommended tonight. Depending on how well it goes with my baby, I would want to get more bettas so the AquaClear 20 seems like a good choice for me. Thanks again, a I'll definitely be referring back here for more help and questions. :3
RedArizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #3547 
kittylapurr

So I bought Finneas a couple days ago. The gentlemen at the store guessed that it's a boy. I'm not sure what type of betta he is either. I was looking at all the little Betta and once I saw him I felt a connection and just knew. He's a playful little fella and loves to go explore and swim all around. I have him in a 1.5 gal right now. I'm feeding him flakes because it seems easier for him to eat and I crushed up a couple pellets but he doesn't seem to care for it. I just got him a water warmer for his tank. If anyone knows his gender or can identify him I'd love to know. Or if you have any tips.
kittylapurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #3548 
Sunset02

Aww how cute! I'm a sucker for little bettas. I have pledged never to go in betta fish sections again, otherwise I'm sure to fall in love with one.
Sunset02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, baby betta care, baby betta photos, cuteness overload, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta