Cobalt, our new male betta, was gifted to us unexpectedly. Caught off guard, I put him in a 2 gallon cookie jar from my kitchen. I got him a mini heater and a fake plant and he's been there for a little over a week. I considered it temporary - I bought him a proper 5.5 gallon tank, light, heater, filter, etc. And it's cycling now.
But today when I went to do his pwc - I found a bubble nest! Shocked he could be so happy in that tiny 2 gallon, swimming in his own filth, I tested his water: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrITE, nearly 0 nitrATE. Wha? (I did a 100% wc 3 days ago. And figured I was a day overdue on a pwc.)
I put in river stones & a coconut cave from our cycled 15 gallon the day I put him in there. I also added one of those bacterial supplements thinking it couldn't hurt him.
So, my 2 questions:
Is it possible the 2 gallon has a working biofilter??
Would you guys just leave him where he is or move him to the 5.5 gallon when it's done cycling?