Betta Fish Forum banner

I think I made a mistake...

727 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  LoriKeet 
#1 ·
I have a mostly black Betta named Luna. Luna's been living in a one gallon tank for the past month with 2 water changes a week (50% & 100%). I put a little money aside for a couple of pay checks and bought Luna a brand new 5 gallon tank with a brand new heater, plant, etc.

Originally, I was planning to cycle Luna's new tank with the shrimp method. However, I read in an article that cycling with the in-fish method was fine so long as you only used one fish.

I feel like an idiot. Most of the article was legitimate (I'd link if I still had the URL) and assumed the cycling input was legitimate too. So now Luna is in a new tank with a never-before cycled filter.

I won't have the money to buy a testing kit for another 12 days. Please, how many times should I be changing the water to be safe? I'll purchase the testing kit, but for the time being I want to make sure that my guy stays safe.

Sorry for the lapse in judgement. :cry:

#4 ·
Keep the same WC schedule you've been doing until you can get a test kit and you should be fine :)

To be honest you can stick with those water changes until you tank is cycled, you'll know when that happens because you'll consistently test 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites before each water change once it is cycled. If you happen to catch your tank cycling you'll see ammonia go to 0 while you get a small nitrite spike, then the nitrites will drop to 0 and you'll start to see nitrates. Once you tank is cycled you can do a WC just once a week, the amount you'll need to change weekly depending on your nitrates (it's a trial and error thing - 25% might be fine, or you may need more, but you won't be able to know until you get a test kit and can monitor it).

#5 ·
You need twice a week 50 percent water changes. It would also help if you could get some Prime water conditioner if you can. Its two drops per gallon and will detox ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 48 hours. After what you can add more. You should be fine if you do the 2 water changes each week . I did fish in cycle so when you get the test kit and need some help let me know and I will help you as best I can. I never would have tried to do a fish in cycle without the help of others here.

#9 ·
Right no 100 percents . Now when you start testing the levels you might need abit more like 65 percent if any of the levels get really high, I think that happened to me once but that was when I was over a month in the cycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.