Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding again.

10K views 214 replies 23 participants last post by  MrVampire181 
#1 ·
Okay so I'm starting to condition Pearl and Merlin. I still don't know if I'm using Pearl yet, but I'm conditioning her just in case. Like I said before, if I win the auction on Aquabid, I'll be breeding Merlin with the new female. Which I'm looking for names if there are any suggestions. Anywho, I am conditioning them a new way, they're in a 10 gallon set up like breeding but it's divided. It looks like I'm using a new girl anyways, so I'm not worried about Pearl. The female should be almost ready for breeding so I want to get Merlin prepared. If I somehow happen to come around one more tank soon, I may breed Pearl also. =D
Today I got, a heater (from a freecycler, so for free), a 10 gallon filter (which I have questions about), and I ordered some microworms from ebay which should be here in a few days. I only payed $4.25 for them! But yeah, so I set up the breeding tank with the filter & the heater and I have Merlin and Pearl in it. I have some pics. I have some questions too. But I'll post the pics first.

Set up for now, the home in the middle wont be there when I set up for breeding.

The filter I got

Okay here's my questions. I don't know about that filter. I can't change the flow and it looks kinda strong to keep in there with the fry. Do you think I could slow it somehow, or when I breed should I leave the divider in there?? I just think the fry could swim through it. I dunno, opinions??

I also wanted some help with microworms so I'm not completely clueless when they get here. So my other questions are, how do I culture them and make more? Anyone have some sites I could look at so I can get the supplies to set everything up?? Thanks guys. I just want EVERYTHING right this time around.

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't use that filter. Too strong, and I'd be afraid it'd suck up the babies!! If you just have a normal air pump, you can get a corner filter or sponge filter for about 6-7 dollars.

Microworms. Actually really cool!! I think I got mine from the same seller as you! Oh, BTW, I expected them to be in a box, they were in an ENVELOPE!!! :) Just a heads up.

Make some Oatmeal and sprinkle yeast on top, stick your culture in, done! They feed off the Oatmeal, and climb up the sides of the container, making it easier to get them out. Angel actually LOVES microworms. The others don't even pay attention to them.

#4 ·
Thanks doggyhog!! Where can I find a corner filter like that?? I don't know if I can get the money for one, I'll look though.

#7 ·
I would love to do that, but I don't have another tank to do that. So I need to see if I could get another tank, which means another heater, etc etc. Depends on if I can get some money or anything. Everything I got today was free. I got the heater from my freecycle group. And my boyfriends dads girlfriend got me the filter and the microworms. Now I gotta try to get a corner filter. I might just leave out the filter if I cant find the corner one.

#10 ·
So Andakin just gave me a great idea. I think I will breed both Merlin and Pearl and Merlin and the new girl.

Here's a visual =D

And once they get bigger I have a filter for the 50 gallon, just not a heater. But I think it will work. What do you guys think?

#11 ·
I could probably remove all the males once they're bigger and keep the females all together with the heater and filter when they're older. I think it's fine if the babies mingle when they're older, just not the males.

#16 ·
Sounds great! I'm so glad you're breeding them again. Good luck!

#17 ·
Thanks. Now all I need is panty hose, and some more stuff to make dividers. I don't need to worry about the dividers going very high right? Any body have any ways they make large dividers? I make them with the whole DIY thread we toss around to everyone. But now I need help making them for a 50 gallon,and to keep them in place with no gravel. Any suggestions?

#18 ·
Yay vikki! you're breeding again, thats great. I would suggest not to use the filter because even my biggest gold fish (about 7 in.) get pushed down to the bottom. be sure to post pics of the incredbily smart sytem you and andikin made, it should work great! :) :)

I think it's funny that merlin is on double duty. but anyway good luck, and I hope you win the auction! = ]

#19 ·
The filter will be okay because it will be in the middle where neither batches of fry can get it. It should be fine.
Thanks!

#20 ·
When I built my divider that was larger than a sheet of plastic craft canvas I just used fishing line to sew two pieces together. Make sure the edges overlap a bit so that it isn't floppy. As for support, you can always silicone them to the tank. If you ever need to remove them the silicone can always be scraped off. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.