Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #1 
JustJenna01

Question Compatible Fish??

Hi! I currently have a four gallon Baby BiOrb tank. Tomorrow, I plan on getting a betta fish, but I'd love for him to have a companion. I would LOVE to get an African Dwarf Frog, but they are illegal in my state... The only other thing I've looked at is a ghost shrimp, but I haven't seen them in pet stores in my area...
I've been doing a lot of research trying to figure out which kinds of fish would be compatible, but the conflicting answers are making my head hurt. Can anyone help?
JustJenna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

For that size only a snail or shrimp would fit and even that would require extra water changes. The bigger the better but 10 gallon would be the minimum for fish like cories with a betta...
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I don't think the shape of the biorb tanks, particularly the small ones such as yours are really conductive to tankmates.

You could go with ghost shrimp, but shrimp can be sensitive to water quality. They generally do better in an established and mature tank, and it sounds as if your tank is only newly set-up or currently empty?

For now I would just have the betta by itself. In a 4 gallon tank, a betta provides more than enough colour and movement. If you wanted other fish you are definitely going to have to look into a more standard size 10 gallon tank. The footprint and shape of the biorbs are really not ideal for a lot of fish species.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Biorbs can hold less creatures because of there shape.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #5 
mahi

I'm keeping a betta and a nerite snail in a baby biorb. The cycle I have is very stable ( I have lots of plants in there), but I don't think I would add more animals to that tank.

PS: Is your tank cycled already? If not, I would get only the snail for a couple of months, until the tank is fully cycled...
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #6 
mahi

Also, I don't think shrimp will do well in a biorb. I'm afraid they will get sucked into the filter and die!
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

A single Nerite will work.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote