Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #141 
MrsRowell706
Member
 
MrsRowell706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buffalo NY
I'm also new to this cycle stuff, if I buy a 5gal filtered tank and add some real plants will I still have to cycle or can I put my betta right in? And will it matter if the tank is used or not?
MrsRowell706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #142 
jaysee
Reference Team
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brigantine, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRowell706 View Post
I'm also new to this cycle stuff, if I buy a 5gal filtered tank and add some real plants will I still have to cycle or can I put my betta right in? And will it matter if the tank is used or not?
Welcome to the forum

In fish keeping, you will have to do a water change any time you have ammonia or nitrite in the water. Doesn't matter if you have plants or not, a filter or not. Ammonia and nitrite are poison for the fish so any time, in any situation, you have measurable ammonia/nitrite it is time for a water change. When you are doing a fish in cycle, that can be as frequent as every day. If you have a lot of plants, perhaps only once or twice a week. All depends on how long it takes to accumulate in the water. If you bought a 55 gallon and put a betta in it, you might never have to change the water while the tank cycles because there is so much water that it will take X amount of time to accumulate to measurable levels. Just to illustrate the point.

So yes, you can put the fish in right away, as long as you know you need to do water changes when the tests tell you.

Only makes a difference between new and used if the tank was in use when you bought it. Then, the bacteria will be there and you shouldnt have to cycle.
jaysee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #143 
MrsRowell706
Member
 
MrsRowell706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buffalo NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Welcome to the forum

In fish keeping, you will have to do a water change any time you have ammonia or nitrite in the water. Doesn't matter if you have plants or not, a filter or not. Ammonia and nitrite are poison for the fish so any time, in any situation, you have measurable ammonia/nitrite it is time for a water change. When you are doing a fish in cycle, that can be as frequent as every day. If you have a lot of plants, perhaps only once or twice a week. All depends on how long it takes to accumulate in the water. If you bought a 55 gallon and put a betta in it, you might never have to change the water while the tank cycles because there is so much water that it will take X amount of time to accumulate to measurable levels. Just to illustrate the point.

So yes, you can put the fish in right away, as long as you know you need to do water changes when the tests tell you.

Only makes a difference between new and used if the tank was in use when you bought it. Then, the bacteria will be there and you shouldnt have to cycle.
Thank you for the info
Posted via Mobile Device
MrsRowell706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #144 
Hallyx
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
In order to run the water tests Jaysee refers to, you should have one of these:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379756505&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater"]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]


Keep ammonia and nitrite below 0.25ppm by performing water changes when necessary.

Welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:34 AM   #145 
KaiStar
New Member
 
KaiStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Hi everyone. I've had my 5 gallon tank Since early December, and I'm pretty sure I messed up the cycling because I did a couple of 100% water changes, including cleaning EVERYTHING. (The water looked murky, and fishy didn't look too good, so I panicked.) Now, the ammonia has finally been spiking. Again, I freaked out, also realized I hadn't been cleaning the substrate properly (changed from river rocks earlier, to gravel) and now finally have all the right stuff, vacuum, proper test kit (not API, because I was using Prime and so it wasn't working, so I gotSeaChem) and I think I'm getting closer to figuring things out... Ammonia is between .25 and .50, Nitrites finally seem to be rising, but Nitrates are still 0. So my questions are: Do I need to vacuum right now, or do I just do 25% water changes only until I see Nitrates? Also, will Prime mess up the cycling process by neutralizing Nitrite and Nitrates, or does it only convert the Ammonia to make it safer for fishy? Oh, it's not planted, I have a Fluval Spec 5 w/Sponge Filter & Water pump on low.
KaiStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #146 
Hallyx
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
Prime does nothing to effect the cycle. It merely converts ammonia to a safe form.

Do not vacuum. Change 50% of the water whenever ammonia rises above 0.25ppm (on the total ammonia chart). A 50% change when nitrite rises above 0.25ppm. Don't worry about nitrate. Dose Prime @ 2-drops/gal of tank size and 1-drop/gal daily while cycling.

After cycling, a weekly 50% change with Prime should be your water change schedule forever.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:15 AM   #147 
KaiStar
New Member
 
KaiStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Prime does nothing to effect the cycle. It merely converts ammonia to a safe form.

Do not vacuum. Change 50% of the water whenever ammonia rises above 0.25ppm (on the total ammonia chart). A 50% change when nitrite rises above 0.25ppm. Don't worry about nitrate. Dose Prime @ 2-drops/gal of tank size and 1-drop/gal daily while cycling.

After cycling, a weekly 50% change with Prime should be your water change schedule forever.
Thanks so much!
KaiStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:41 AM   #148 
elz2715
New Member
 
elz2715's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wales
Hi there,
I am new to fish keeping and recently bought my first Betta, his name is Lucky, and two Amano shrimp (Jacque and Jill- sadly Jill did not survive the move to her new home and was found to have died on day 3)
I decided to do a fish in cycle (well, actually until I looked at some of the forums on here i was pretty clued up on Betta's, but clueless on tanks and their cycle it seems) and am now on day 4. I have not done any tests yet, but after discovering the whole 'cycling process' I ordered a test strip kit online, with delivery being estimated for tomorrow.
The question I have is why is my water cloudy? Is this a normal part of the process? How long will it take to clear?
I have attached some pictures below to show you what i mean.

Just for the record I did rinse my gravel before adding it (although it is possible I maybe wasn't thorough enough.) And, the instructions for my tank were dismal, so it wasn't until day 2 when I was looking at the pre-assembled filter (it's kinda built in) that I realised the instructions had failed to mention that I needed to remove plastic bags from the carbon and ceramic filter medias, so the filter has only been running properly for probably a little over 24 hours now.
With the Betta I added the ornament along with one moss ball and the real plant on the bottom (any advice on to what this plant is would be appreciated), then on day two I added Water Lettuce and another moss ball, as well as the bog wood which came out of a LFS tank. I have a heater set to stay at 26C or 78F, and the built in filter is set to low to avoid fins getting sucked up and too strong a current for the Betta.

I have been using API Stress Coat and Stress Zyme to treat the water. And LoveFish Tropical Fish food pellets (recommended by Pets at Home, and they both seem happy to eat them)
Also, I dont know if it's relevant but since Day 2 my shrimp have (or has, being there is only one now) an aversion to the water, they were great day 1, chomping down food and on the moss balls, but then they would just stay in the top left hand corner of the tank by the filter intake not moving. Or swim around for a bit and then go straight back and not move for hours again, I also haven't noticed them eating much. I'm not sure if it's because Lucky bugs them? He was having a right go at the dead one at least but as far as I have seen is fine with the live one...

They are in a 19L tank, which i think converts to 4ish gallons imperial, 5 gallons US.

Day 1


Feeding Time


Day 2

(after a bit of disruption due to an escaping shrimp)

Day 3 (in process of 20% water change)


Sorry for the large volume of information... But any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Last edited by elz2715; 04-13-2014 at 05:43 AM.
elz2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #149 
Hallyx
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
After 4 days with a 5g tank, you're ready for at least a 50% water change--- as recommended near the start of this thread (which you should go back and re-read). Do a 50% change whenever your test shows ammonia of 0.50ppm. Same with nitrite when it appears.

Stresscoat is a good water conditioner. Use as instructed with every water change. As a safety precaution, dose Stresscoat at 1/2 strength every other day. Stresszyne does nothing useful. Return it if you can. Most of us use Prime water conditioner by Seachem. You might consider getting that when your Stresscoat runs out.

Shrimp are sensitive to ammonia. Its behavior may indicate an ammonia build-up. When in doubt, the first thing to do is a 50% water change with conditioner.

More water lettuce and other live plants always help. Use a 6500K (Kelvin -- color temperature) bulb. I think that striped plant is only semi-aquatic and may deteriorate over time. Check in the Planted Betta Tank section of this forum.

Upgrade your food. New Life Spectrum Betta and Omega One Betta Buffet are the best you can easily get.

Cloudiness may indicate the beginning of your cycle, especially as you added bogwood from the LFS which likely has nitrifying bacteria on. Sounds like you're on you way.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:35 AM   #150 
elz2715
New Member
 
elz2715's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
After 4 days with a 5g tank, you're ready for at least a 50% water change--- as recommended near the start of this thread (which you should go back and re-read). Do a 50% change whenever your test shows ammonia of 0.50ppm. Same with nitrite when it appears.

Stresscoat is a good water conditioner. Use as instructed with every water change. As a safety precaution, dose Stresscoat at 1/2 strength every other day. Stresszyne does nothing useful. Return it if you can. Most of us use Prime water conditioner by Seachem. You might consider getting that when your Stresscoat runs out.

Shrimp are sensitive to ammonia. Its behavior may indicate an ammonia build-up. When in doubt, the first thing to do is a 50% water change with conditioner.

More water lettuce and other live plants always help. Use a 6500K (Kelvin -- color temperature) bulb. I think that striped plant is only semi-aquatic and may deteriorate over time. Check in the Planted Betta Tank section of this forum.

Upgrade your food. New Life Spectrum Betta and Omega One Betta Buffet are the best you can easily get.

Cloudiness may indicate the beginning of your cycle, especially as you added bogwood from the LFS which likely has nitrifying bacteria on. Sounds like you're on you way.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thank you so much for your help, my test strips should be arriving today, so as soon as they do I will do the 50% water change (I did read the beginning of this forum, but as I had already done the 20% water change which was advised somewhere else I decided to wait a few days on the 50% not to over do it)

The stress coat and zyme both came together in a mini 'starter pack', but thanks for your advice, I will invest in the better one when renewing the product.

I don't seem to be able to locate either of the foods you suggested either online or when checking stock in LFS (I'm in UK... Possiblyb why?) But I have ordered 'Hikari Tropical Betta Bio-Gold Tropical Fish Food' as this was the mostly highly regarded one I could find.

Hopefully it is the start- the water seems to have started clearing again today now, so that can only be positive and the shrimp seems to have ventured back in the the depths... Well at least I can't see him on the water lettuce or the side

Thanks again for your kind help, and for welcoming me to the forum!
elz2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me!!! The nitrogen cycle AaryonN Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 4 08-06-2010 10:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.