Betta Fish Forum banner

Community tank with Two Males and Three Females bettas

3K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  PetMania 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, i am sure that most of you guys are going to disagree upon what im doing but i have been taking a gamble and with a lot of different bettas, i have finally found some bettas that get along with each other. I current have two males, three females, two platy, two guppies, one cory catfsih, one African dwarf frog, and one shrimp. Even though tons of people say males aren't compatible with one and another, but i believe every betta has its own personality. By doing so i have a tank that is 10g filled with those fishes. It took me a lot of time and effort to do this but it finally payed off. I will be posting up a video soon.

#4 ·
Personally I would never risk my pet's lives like that, but if you're aware one day you could wake up to dead fish that's fine. Corydoras are shoaling fish and like to live in groups of 5 minimum.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
How long have you had the tank set up like this? Yes I do disagree with how your doing this and keep in mind things could go ok for awhile but could change very quickly and if your not around to pull fish when it happens? It also seems like a very small tank to be trying this even if your males were female just from being over stocked. Also breeding behaviors could start to happen and it could get ugly fast. Good luck but you may want to reconsider the set up, very risky imo. Keep us posted.

#6 ·
That seems incredibly risky, and it doesn't seem worth putting your fish's lives at risk for it.

That issue aside, cories should be in groups of 5, and shrimp are colony animals. You should get a larger tank so that you can provide them with the numbers that they need.

Make sure you keep up with water changes, because your tank is very overstocked.

#7 ·
Obviously I have to disagree with this.

1) Two males together? These are called fighting fish for a reason.

2) Regardless of the comparability of these fish your tank is grossly overstocked.

3) This will lead to extreme stress for both the males and the females.

4) 4 corydoras minimum. They are schooling fish.

5) Shrimp are colony animals.

6) ADF like to be in a group IME.

7) Hormonal stress causing egg binding (long term) in the females due to constant contact with males.

And that's only what I can think of. Expect dead fish. THERE IS NO WAY THIS SETUP CAN SUCCEED. Be prepared to have to separate them.

#15 ·
Obviously I have to disagree with this.

1) Two males together? These are called fighting fish for a reason.

2) Regardless of the comparability of these fish your tank is grossly overstocked.

3) This will lead to extreme stress for both the males and the females.

4) 4 corydoras minimum. They are schooling fish.

5) Shrimp are colony animals.

6) ADF like to be in a group IME.

7) Hormonal stress causing egg binding (long term) in the females due to constant contact with males.

And that's only what I can think of. Expect dead fish. THERE IS NO WAY THIS SETUP CAN SUCCEED. Be prepared to have to separate them.

what does egg binding mean????

#8 ·
I am sure we won't hear from the OP when this all goes pear-shaped. I find that tends to happen in threads where people want to go neener neener about how their unconventional stocking 'works'.

There is no way that two male splendens are co-habitating peacefully. Some males will not fight or won't do serious damage, but you can bet the dominant one is applying constant subtle pressure to the weaker male. This is extremely stressful for whoever is unluckiest to be on the bottom of the totem pole and you may end up with a sick betta because of it.

There is also the chance that your three females (not a good number to have might I add) will gang up on the males and injure/kill them. My sorority killed a male that fell into their tank in only a very short space of time.

Like others have mentioned, corydoras are shoaling fish and do require a group setting to be happiest and healthiest. A 10 gallon is too small to provide this for all but the smallest of corydoras species.

Your tank is poorly stocked and overstocked. The only reason I wish you luck with your endeavor is because it is going to be your fish that suffer the consequences if it doesn't work out.

#9 ·
i am sure that most of you guys are going to disagree upon what im doing.

Yes most do disagree. What is your goal?

but i have been taking a gamble and with a lot of different bettas,

Yes you certainly are. Why gamble? What is the prize if your correct?

i have finally found some bettas that get along with each other.

Yes for now..short term. That could change very fast. you watch tank 24/7?

I current have two males, three females, two platy, two guppies, one cory catfsih, one African dwarf frog, and one shrimp.

In a 10g that is wrong in so many ways. See posters above.

Even though tons of people say males aren't compatible with one and another.

Tons of people are correct.

, but i believe every betta has its own personality.

So do I. but behaviors are molded by the genetics and instincts.

By doing so i have a tank that is 10g filled with those fishes.

Much to much fishes. Find the cory some friends too.

It took me a lot of time and effort to do this but it finally payed off.

Really does it take much more time to overstock? Mismatch species?

I will be posting up a video soon.

Ok. Will you also post a video of a negative aftermath? It may be OK today but given some time and who knows when, this will end up ending badly for the fish and you may regret your set up. Do yourself a big favor and take the advise of the posters in the thread. They arnt crazy, lazy or uninformed people. At some point you will be changing the setup anyway after pulling out dead or injured fish. Please reconsider.

#17 ·
I've honestly never had a female get egg bound. Some of my females (these are wild bettas before everyone jumps me) live in the tanks with males, and even when they haven't spawned for months they never get egg bound.

People always talk about females getting egg bound but I have never had it happen or seen any real proof of it happening.

#24 ·
Garsh, let's keep the topic on the thread people!! :)
Eggbounding is when a female betta's eggs get stuck in her body. Most of the time she will reabsorb them or something... It's rare for the female to get killed, though.

#25 ·
I believe its just that the girl gets eggy and can't release the eggs so she swells.

I don't know from experience but by what I've seen on here so don't hold me to it

But that can potentially happen if girls are with boys

#26 ·
I had a male in my soerity for over a year and never had a problem with egg binding..and also had male/female divided tanks. I dont think it is all that common

#28 ·
***update***
Well it came to an end, after two weeks, everything was going good till the red male betta started to constantly chase the female around. Red male betta was very slow at chasing though. Between the two males they actually never nipped, flared, or chased at eachother . My other blue betta would chase a certain female around but nothing too crazy. At the end I moved the red male betta and three females out. Currently have one male and two females bettas. Im planning on getting a 100 gallon and wanting to do it again let me know what you guys think, thanks

#29 ·
***update***
Well it came to an end, after two weeks, everything was going good till the red male betta started to constantly chase the female around. Red male betta was very slow at chasing though. Between the two males they actually never nipped, flared, or chased at eachother . My other blue betta would chase a certain female around but nothing too crazy. At the end I moved the red male betta and three females out. Currently have one male and two females bettas. Im planning on getting a 100 gallon and wanting to do it again let me know what you guys think, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.