Betta Fish Forum banner

Tank Confusion

513 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Neil D 
#1 ·
I've been serously condcidering buying a five gallon tank For both of my betta fish. I can't lift a lot of weight but i figured a way around that. What bothers me is how often and how much i should do partial and full changes of the water.

#4 ·
Not stupid at all!
Cycling is basically letting beneficial bacteria (BB) grow in the tank. The bb neutralize toxic ammonia and nitrite in the water. Growing enough of these bacteria can take from 2-8 weeks, but will happen anyways. To do this fast:

Get your two bettas into the divided 5 gallon, and do 2 50% water changes a week. Keep a close watch on the water parameters with this:

http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=67

This will test your water. Do this every other day for the first 2 weeks. If the ammonia gets above .25 ppm do a WC. Read up more on the Nitrogen Cycle, as this was just a crash course.

#5 ·
I have another question, If you will indulge me Neil D, Would someone who lives in an apartment, with two betta fish, would i be better off with a 2.5 gallon for both my fish, cleaning them every week?

#6 ·
2 2.5 gallons would require on 50% and one 100% change weekly, EACH! After cycling, however, you would only need to do one 25-50% change a week.

Either is ok, and if you get a filter for the 2.5 gallon ones, I would assume you could get away with a 100% change weekly, each. Make sure you have a heater. This is good for 2g tanks:

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersible-Preset-Heater-25-Watt/dp/B00106X8QG

#7 ·
Thanks so much! that clarifies things a bit better for me and i think i'll get a 2.5 gallon tank now. I'm sure that might be better for me, by doing a partial change and then a full change once a week. I think that might be a bit easier for me being a beginer on betta fish.

#9 ·
Also a good thing to consider, in my opinion anyways, that by going the two separate tank route that if one gets sick, you are able to focus on that one to help get him better and not have to worry about having a secondary QT going in case the other got it from a shared tank. So as a beginner, it may be less stressful/worrisome and less of a risk of losing both. Good luck and want pics! =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.