Betta Fish Forum banner

First-time Betta Keeper!

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  crowntaillove3 
#1 ·
Hey, guys! I'm a little late to do this, but I'm new to the forum. I've been a betta owner for exactly a week now, and I've loved the experience! I had a veil tail named Handsome when I was 6, but I didn't take care of him. He was a year old when he passed, but pack to the present! My two crowntails, Spikefin and Fireheart are very happy in their new home. For about a month, I've had the "betta bug" and I would have about 6 right now, if I was aloud lol. I appreciate all of the advice I've already gotten from the forum, and I'll be grateful for any more! Please PM me if you have any advice! Thanks.

#4 ·
Here is Fireheart's tank. It is 2.5 gallons, and it has two fake plants and red gravel.
Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Feeder fish Aquarium lighting

Here is Spikefin's bowl. It is about two gallons, and it also has two fake plants and red gravel.
Aquarium Goldfish Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Feeder fish

Neither of their homes are much, but they both seem happy and they both have a bubble nest. Pics of them are soon to come!

#6 ·
No heaters :(. I tried to convince my mom that they are almost always nesiccary, but she said that they aren't. My room is warmer than any other room in the house, about 76 degrees. I have no idea why when the house is set to 72...

#8 ·
I highly recommend heaters! Keep in mind that whatever the room tempurature is, the water will be quite a bit cooler in your betta homes...so it's probably in the high 60s if your room is 72! I have had the best with my bettas set at 81 degrees constantly...they are so much happier!

#10 ·
Yeah...My room is about 77 now, so the fish aren't too siked about that. My mom has been talked to as well as my dad (multiple times each) and both are being quite annoyingly stubborn...

#16 · (Edited)
Blue Water Organism Crayfish Electric blue
i just got a veil tail betta and he is extremely active when the water temp is at 79 degrees but not at 78 or 80 is this normal. i have an in tank thermostat and it says it is 79 degrees all the time. I feed him the gold bio betta food and i use a stress calmer liquid drops and a freshwater salt to help him better breath. it seems to help. my only concern is the ventril fin is splitting it seems to not bother him at this point but it does concern me. how do i fix this or is the splitting normal for a veil tail betta? it looks like 2 strings hanging down from his belly.

#17 · (Edited)
i know the water has floaties but thats his food. i would like to some how get a list of all types of food a betta can eat so that he can have a variety of foods to have. as well as any and all types of care products to help him grow and stay strong. i also would like to know if a mirror for 5 minutes a day would be a good idea as well to get him to be active and what size tank would be best. i am thinking about getting a 10 gallon tank with the filtration set up and all that as well.

#18 ·
I don't have a thermometer. I'm getting one when I go to get my Spikefin a new tank! I don't like his bowl. You can't really see him, and it is on the small side. They have been doing great, though. Both eat their food, make bubble nests, explore in their plants, and swim all of the time! If the water is anything lower than 75 degrees I'll have to practically force my mom to make the awful sacrifice of three dollars lol. Well, they are doing fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.