Betta Fish Forum banner

Clamped fins and maybe fin rot?

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Myates 
#1 ·
I noticed the other day Peaches fins looked like he bit them a little. i didnt think it was rot then. Then yesterday I noticed he was clamped and it was water change day. did his water change and this morning the clamping has gotten worse. so i did another water change and at first he seemed to open a bit and now hes back to clamping. Im starting to get a little worried.

he is swimming around alot though which is good. he is in a 3.5 gallon critter keeper, heated to 80. he has the hydor theo 25 watt heater. he has 2 anubias and one marimo ball. when i do water changes i take about 70 % of the water out so i did that yesterday and today so his water is clean. ill do it everyday if i have to, if it gets him to unclamp. Oh and i do water changes with gravel vac so that the gravel gets cleaned out too because i dont do 100% changed since i have live plants. I do the two large water changes twice a week. all my others are fine, it is just him. Also noticed the tips of his fins look worse but theres no black edging so im not sure about fin rot. i do have AQ salt on hand. and TC tetracycline, but dont want to use that unless i have to. here are some pics

See less See more
#3 ·
It doesn't look like rot to me, to be honest. Definitely looks like he has bit it though from what I can see.. unsure why he is clamped though, as I know you take proper care of your fish.

I'm sorry I can't be much help, when they are cases like this where the care is great and they have been with you for a while, it's hard to pinpoint the problem when there is nothing obvious - clamped fins are just a sign.

But it's not fin rot, as I see no blackened edges, flaking.. and with fin rot they don't tend to show any sign of a problem until all the fins are gone and the bacteria/rot is attacking the body.

#6 ·
I would say you can as a preventative, and it may give him a boost in how he is feeling.. if you are already doing daily water changes (which may be causing him stress as well), then adding the salt in won't do any damage to him - will either perk him up or make no difference and then it's onto figuring it out some more.

I wouldn't do more than 2tsp per gallon - 1tsp per gallon should be enough, as it's something, but not too much since he doesn't absolutely need it.

#9 ·
Okay.. then go ahead with the AQ salt and see how he does with it over the next couple of days. A few days in AQ salt won't harm him, but it may be able to help him. If he starts swimming differently, has trouble swimming, tilting then you will want to remove him from AQ and place him in Epsom.

But for now, try the AQ salt.. daily 100% water change.. water conditioner.. remove any live plants as to not kill them with the salt.
Since you had just done a water change, mix the salt + a bit of conditioner in a cup and dissolve it.. then over the next 10-15 minutes slowly pour it into the tank little bit at a time to help him slowly adjust to the salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.