Betta Fish Forum banner

Angus is getting a new tank today!

670 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sarahspins 
#1 ·
After a year Angus is going to be moving up in the world! Since our heating issue I decided that not only will a buy a new heater today, but Angus will be upgraded to a 5 gallon.

Anyone have tips or suggestions on doing this? I'm sure I'll buy more stuff for his tank since he's only got a few decorations right now.

What size heater should I get for a 5 gallon?

Filtered? Unfiltered?

Should I add some of his old water to the new tank or just all new water?

We have little white stones in his tank now. I can't decide if I want to get the same ones, or maybe switch to something else.

Anything else you can think of for Angus' big move?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Ok...no replies lol. In case anyone is reading this I figured I'd ask a question here instead of starting another new thread. Hopefully someone will answer me.

At petco today the lady was trying to discourage us from buying a bigger tank saying that our betta would not like it. We were looking at 5-10 gallon tanks. I'm far from an expert so I didn't question her, but is she wrong? I always heard that most people recommend at least a 5 gallon tank for bettas.

#3 ·
She is wrong for doing that. Anything 1-10 gallons is generally fine for a betta given the correct amount of water changes are done. It is true that large spaces can make a betta nervous, but they don't like small spaces just as often.

#4 ·
I use 50w Aqueon Pro heaters in my 5g tanks, but you can also use 25w heaters. The 50w will be able to maintain heat up to about 15 degrees above room temp, while the 25w will only be able to maintain up to about 10 degrees. I also like Marineland Visitherm and Jager.

If you don't filter it you should do 100% water change a week, or actually I suggest every 5 days based on my own personal experience. I would also buy a small airstone, controlled with a couple airline control valves to turn it into a mist, under the heater to distribute the heat or you will have very uneven heating.

If you get a filter just place the heater next to the filter.

I don't use filters in my 5g, but I heard good things about the Marine S10 slim, and I think you can probably baffle an Aquaclear 20 enough (prefilter sponge, turned all the way down, and sponge outflow baffle) to be okay for a 5g. You could also look into a sponge filter, which provides excellent biological filtration but no mechanical.

You'll also need a siphon, reliable drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and lots of oversized soft silk plants, as well as at least one little cave of some kind.

Cycling: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

#5 ·
We ended up with a 10 gallon tonight! I'll post pics when things are set up! We got a filter and heater...all included so hopefully it will work out well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.