Betta Fish Forum banner

New here, with a few questions

2K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Alex09 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and have two bettas, Pontos and Nereus. Pontos is in a large fish bowl that is probably about two gallons, and Nereus is in a plastic tank (I think it's called a critter keeper?) that's probably about a gallon.

I've been reading on here that heating the water is a really good idea. I think I might look into it, if i can find two small enough and inexpensive enough (I have a tight budget).

I've also seen on here that it's better not to change all the water at once. If you don't, then how do you clean the stuff at the bottom of the tank? Do you siphon it?

If you use tap water, do you need to use those conditioning drops they sell?

I've had bettas a few times before when I was younger, but didn't pay as much attention to them as I now am. So I want to make sure I'm doing the right things. I am enjoying having two, and observing their different personalities. Pontos has quite a personality, I wish I could reach in and pet him lol. Nereus is pretty timid. I've seen him hide under his rocks, and he runs away if there's any movement near the tank (including my trying to feed him. They have both blown bubble nests. Nereus surprised me with a big one once. I should have taken a picture.

So, there's my intro, with questions. Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and have two bettas, Pontos and Nereus. Pontos is in a large fish bowl that is probably about two gallons, and Nereus is in a plastic tank (I think it's called a critter keeper?) that's probably about a gallon.

I've been reading on here that heating the water is a really good idea. I think I might look into it, if i can find two small enough and inexpensive enough (I have a tight budget).

I've also seen on here that it's better not to change all the water at once. If you don't, then how do you clean the stuff at the bottom of the tank? Do you siphon it?

If you use tap water, do you need to use those conditioning drops they sell?

I've had bettas a few times before when I was younger, but didn't pay as much attention to them as I now am. So I want to make sure I'm doing the right things. I am enjoying having two, and observing their different personalities. Pontos has quite a personality, I wish I could reach in and pet him lol. Nereus is pretty timid. I've seen him hide under his rocks, and he runs away if there's any movement near the tank (including my trying to feed him. They have both blown bubble nests. Nereus surprised me with a big one once. I should have taken a picture.

So, there's my intro, with questions. Thanks for reading!
Welcome :D

Okay. Changing all at once can be stressful sometimes. BUT, in a one gallon like you have, you should probably change your water fully every other day or two, with a 50% change in between. I had a 1.5 gallon and did a full change on Sundays, with frequent medium changes in between. You could get a siphon, but with that small of a tank, youd probably have to self start it.

You can get small mini heaters for that one gallon (zoo med(?) make them, theyre like $20 and are small and round), the two gallon shouldnt go probably above 10w, and they can be found in lots of places in many sizes. (Id recommend staying away from all things Tetra brand..) Marineland heaters are great.

Sadly, heaters are generally just plain expensive, so as far as that budget goes... :c Id recommend, if you have one nearby, getting a PetSmart card, which will save you loads! :D

YES, you do need the conditioning drops. Always! :D

Dont worry, most of us have stories to tell about not knowing what we know now about bettas. All that matters is *now you want to do it right C:

This site is great for any questions you may have, if you ever have questions, everyone is here for you :3

#4 ·
Wow, does the water really need to be changed every other day? I've been changing it once a week, that's what the person at petsmart said to do (as well as petsmart's pamphlet on bettas). So, that's what I've been doing. When I change it, i'll take him out and put him in a little fish bowl or cup that's been sitting out with water, clean and refill the bowl/tank, and put him back in when the water is the same temperature as what he's in. I have water sitting out ahead of time, usually a day before, so it will be room temperature when I need it.

#3 ·
Well except me *lol* j/k

Welcome to the forum
Everything PewPewPew just said sound's about right.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

If the tanks are not filtered-both the 1gal and 2gal need twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality...provided that you are not overfeeding and remove uneaten food after feeding....

Heat is really important for this species of fish-a stable water temp in the 76-80F range and you will see better behavior and appetite...they can tolerate too low water temps short term....but this can also have an effect on their long term health and lifespan......
You need both a heater and thermometer

Make sure the water temp is within a few degrees between new and old water with water changes to prevent temp shock that in turn can cause health problems and even death...

Always use a good dechlorinator with any water added to the fish that covers-chlorine, chloramines and heavy metal.....all of these are deadly to fish.....

Nutrition is also important to the general health of the Bettas-a good quality Betta pellet is best as the staple diet fed in small amount 2-3 times a day...remember their stomach is about the size of their eye...overfeeding can cause bloat and other health problems...also feeding large amount of freeze dried foods like bloodworms...great for a treat a couple of times a week but not more than that.....

Lots of different ways to successfully keep this species..its finding what works best for you, your source water and the Bettas....

And remember...often fish shops are not the best place to get information...sometimes they can give poor and/or misleading information-they often are in it for a sale/money..... when fish forms are in it for the best interest of the fish......

Look forward to seeing some pics....

#6 ·
So doing a 50% change means dumping out half the water and then replacing it with new water, and a 100% change is dumping it all, and completely refilling the tank with new water? Maybe I should make a habit of a certain day a week so I remember better.

I'm feeding them Top Fin Betta Bits, the little round pellets. I give them 4 each, once a day, and they typically eat them all. Sometimes they'll chew it, spit it, then take it in again, but they do eat it. Should I give them only two at a time, twice a day instead?

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum!

It really depends on you when want to give them food. I personally feed my two boys twice a day at 2 pellets each. I also clean their 1.5gal (big tank isn't ready yet) bins every night so they get a couple bloodworms in their cup while they wait. I only change them every day because I'm paranoid about my water due to my previous Betta. Mine Bettas haven't gotten stressed yet and have a pretty good bubble nest going when I wake up in the mornings.

#9 ·
Welcome!

4-6 pellets is generally what people feed their fish.

I give them 3 in the morning and 2 at night, usually.

When you do the 100% water change, you'll want to completely rinse the gravel and other decorations too.

#11 ·
Yep. I just bought it for my 1 gal tank and it works well if your room isn't horribly cold. I keep my room in the 60's, and the heater keeps the 1 gal at a stable 75/76 degrees.

#13 ·
I paid about $18 for mine. The plus is that it's undergravel (so you can't see it and it doesn't take up room) and the perfect shape for a bowl.

The Tetra pre-set heaters at walmart are cheaper (around $11) and work really well in smaller tanks. The con is that it's hard to fit if you have a bowl, and it takes up a bit of space in a smaller tank.

#14 ·
EKandRJ

Welcome! I am using a pre-set Tetra 2-15 gallon heater (50watt) in my one gallon tank, and it does a wonderful job keeping the water at 78-80F (room temp: 65F). It couldn't keep up with my 5 gallon, though, once the room temp got to 60F.

Above a one gallon, I'd go with Marineland heaters. The shock resistant '30' (a replacement for the underperforming Tetra) is adjustable and my fish in the 5 gallon love it! When they want to be warm and cozy, I find them perching on it or snuggled under it.

#15 ·
Thanks everyone! I have an update:

Went to Petsmart today and forgot to bring my coupon that I wanted to use (facepalm!) They said I can bring it back with the receipt though, so I will next time I go. I got a bottle of water conditioner/de-chlorinator that said it was meant for bettas. That's what the coupon was for.

I also bought a mini siphon vacuum thing. I am going to try to do a 50% change mid-week, and a full water change over the weekend. I bought a few more fake plants- $0.99 each= :)

So I just changed both their tanks, and they are in containers floating in the tanks so the temperature will be the same. They had the zoo med heating pad for bettas, but they only had one, and it's $15. I'm hoping I can find one $10 or less. I will be on the look-out, heating does seem like a good idea for them.

Oh, I also bought a container of freeze-dried bloodworms, because I read on here they like them. I guess alternate between the pellets and the worms?

#16 ·
I usually give my Bettas bloodworms as a treat when I have to change their tanks. But yeah $15 is a little much for that Betta Bowel heater.

#17 ·
Heaters are unfortunately pretty pricey, but they are definitely needed unless you live somewhere that's a stable warm temperature year round.

#18 · (Edited)
:) It's good to know you're getting what you need. If you every upgrade to larger tanks, you might want to consider buying something like Prime conditioner. It only uses 2 drops per gallon, so it lasts a long time.

IMO, in a one gallon you should do maybe 2-3 100% water changes a week seeing as ammonia builds up quickly. Keep an eye on those fake plants, plastic plants often times rip betta's fins. As for heaters, you get what you pay for. I would go ahead and invest in good quality heaters, I know Marineland insures that its heaters will literally last a life time. If they break, you contact them and they'll mail you a new one. They're a bit on the expensive side (20 ish dollars) but seeing as your bettas could possibly live to about 5 years of age (and you might become addicted to bettas XD ), you'll need something that'll last long enough.

#20 ·
Hi evreyone, Im new here. I had a blue betta named thomas after the tank engine. I was like 6 at the time; I fed him for a few days amnd then forgot:( Then aweek later i remembered I have a fish! So I went to go look at him and there he was floating at the top of the tank:( I FELT SICK!! But anways now ihave a 10 gallon tank with dividers and three bmale bettas in it. I also have a 1 gallon tank with a betta i found at a betta killing wal mart. So feel free to ask any questions

#23 ·
Hey! YOU CAN PET HIM IF YOU WANT, HAHA.
With your finger, as long as your nails aren't long/sharp, and you are very gentle

I've pet Sumo a few times and he likes it :)

#27 ·
If you have been doing regular water changes and use the same dechlorinated source water-keep the new fresh dechlorinated water within a couple of degrees between the old tank water that the Betta has been kept in...they usually will be fine with 100% water changes...its still a good idea to add some of the fresh dechlorinated water from the tank to the small holding container that you have the Betta in while making the 100% water change to acclimated them-then either net the Betta and place them in the tank or pour some of the water out of the holding container and add them...it is best if you don't add any of the old tank water...but a small amount should not matter much since it is not pet shop water...you never want to add pet shop water...but I am sure you knew that already.....

Once the Betta gets used to the water changes and they are done correctly- the Betta will often start to look forward to water changes and fresh water....

It really isn't a good idea to touch the Betta a lot with bare hands-if you do make sure your hands/finger are clean and wet so you don't damage the slim coat
Its a good idea to wet the net first before you use it too....

#28 ·
PLAN B:
You can get a 5-10 gallon filtered tank, put in a divider, and save a bunch of time doing water changes. Once the tank is cycled you will only have to do one 25-50% water change a week. You will only have to buy one heater as well.

As for water conditioner, you can just get a general use one such as tetra's or Prime. They are more concentrated and as such will last alot longer and save you money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.