Betta Fish Forum banner

Bloated Belly

Tags
bloated
3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  AngelicScars 
#1 ·
I need some help, one of my bettas has a big bubble in his belly, well what i think is his belly, right behind his anal fins. He is still eating and from what it looks like still pooping too. What is wrong with him and what can i do for him??? Please help.
I have included the best pics i can get of him, he's fast and camera shy, but it is the white area, and is a lot bigger than it looks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Your betta is very pretty. A red cambodian crowntail. I have his sister at my house ;)

Did you feed him live foods?

If he is poopin then it's not dropsy since that's caused by kidney failure.

If he seems ok then: CUT BACK ON THE FEEDINGS. Most betta deaths are caused by fatty tissues building up. I wouldn't reccomend feeding more then once a day with only 3 peices of food. Bettas only need a feeding once a day. NO MATTER WHAT THE BETTA FOOD SAID.

If his scales are still coming out after the bloating is gone and then the bloating returns. You've got something VERY BAD coming your way.

#3 ·
I agree with the above. It looks like he has been eating a bit too much. I hope it's just that.
I would suggest fasting him a few days and then start feeding him as stated earlier. I personally feed my Bettas twice a day, but a total of 2-3 pellets a day. Also, fasting at least once or twice a week is a good idea.
Good luck!

#4 ·
oh my goodness, its all my fault then. he does eat a little more than the other two guys. because at feeding time i give them 3-5 pellets each, but he eats it all so fast and keeps jumping up for more so i drop him a couple more. but i will stop that today, what is fasting?

as for live food, no i do not, they have pellets everyday and bloodworms once a week.

thank you all for the help

#9 ·
Not just your betta. ALL the bettas! All that's on their mind is food ;)

#10 ·
That looks like my Morado!! I have fasted him for awhile,still not going down. I really hope its not dropsy.

#11 ·
No live food no dropsy :)

How the heck did mine get dropsy!? :frustrated:

#13 ·
well i can fast him for a day or two and see if it goes down, BUT i have 2 others in the same tank (they are divided) i will feel really bad if i dont feed him and he gets to see the other two eating, will it hurt to fast the other guys too??

#14 ·
wont hurt them at all. fasting is actually good for them.

#16 ·
oh wow, well then i was definately over doing it... they sure do always act like they are starving, lol and i'm sure it doesn't help with their tank being between the dining room and kitchen.
i haven't fed them all day and i go back to check on them and they all look at me like 'when will give us the food!' but ticos belly does look less bloated today, so thanks everyone

#19 ·
I don't think it will "hurt his feelings" if you feed the others and not feed him. You are helping him out, and in the long run it's better for him.
Yes though, fasting once or twice a week is a great idea for the little guys. Reducing the amount of pellets you feed them will help dramatically!
I believe they really would eat until they popped if given the chance, crazy little guys. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.