Betta Fish Forum banner

What size for breeding?

972 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  indjo 
#1 ·
Hey guys:p

I was thinking of Breeding Autumn to Maryrox's Roger Taylor eventually.

I have heard in a previous thread that the female needs to be aproximetly 2-3 inches to be suitable for breeding, now Autumn is 1 inch including finnage (shes tiny!), Roger is 1 and a half inches not include fins.

would i inch be okay for breeding>? I really wanna start before school.

She's a really hardy girl;-)

#2 ·
Size doesn't generally matter. There is some speculation that if the female is larger than the male that he will have difficulty embracing her, however many breeders I've talked to said that really doesn't matter if the male knows what he's doing. If both fish are relatively the same size and are conditioned and healthy how big they are shouldn't be a factor in their spawn.

#3 ·
Size dont matter! As long as you can see that theres more eggs in her belly, its good! Also, the male shouldn't be so much smaller than the female. Good luck :D

#4 ·
Recently I bred my 4 month old (about 3 cm/over an inch - body only) and was disappointed (both in amount of eggs and survival of fry). So I would suggest at least 3.5 cm for females. You can use similar size - full grown males. Further, I suggest that they are at least 5 months old. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.