Betta Fish Forum banner

Pray For Rescue Fish

988 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Lion Mom 
#1 ·
Today I went to PetCetera and saw only two sick fish in dirty cups. I could not pass them up. The man initially refused to sell them to me as they were obviously ill. The man told me he was flushing them tomorrow. I could not allow this. I bickered and insisted I did not care they were ill. Eventually he told me I could have the liveliest one but he would not have the seven day guarantee. I feel horrible I could not rescue both, but the one was so ill and barely alive on the floor of the cup and I was totally refused sale for him. So Rescue Fish came home. I placed him in a ten gallon tank, of which was only three gallons full. I am using Pimafix in hope his fin rot and presumably various ailments will be cured. I plan to fast him two or three days and begin feeding him shelled peas as I think his main ailment seems to be swim bladder. Presently there is no decor whatsoever in the aquarium. I am wondering should I keep the tank bare until he is looking healthier, or should I place some plants? Will it increase or decrease stress him? What else can I do to aid him?

#2 · (Edited)
I just did. ^_^
And I don't think you should use pimafix, I think it's bad for bettas long term. Don't worry, he should be okay as long as you stop using it now. If I am wrong, I hope someone will correct me but that is what I remember at the moment. I am not an expert in rescuing fish yet, but since it's bare and he's in a new place, you could try put one plant in it for him to hide in. If he's a sick fish, stress won't really help, they like to feel safe. :)
Try using aquarium salt (API) for ten days, and only half the dosage on the box....or 1 teaspoon and replace with every water change.
You can try getting indian almond leaves, that helps damaged fins heal quicker and it's naturally what wild bettas have. If that's not possible, you could get betta water conditioner by Aqueon, it has almond leaf extract in it and works really well too in aiding their health. They are very small bottles, so it's better to use them when your fish get sick, otherwise regular conditioner. Of course keeping the water clean is a major part, but you probably know that. xD

Hopefully others can tell you of other medications to use, but one that's good for bettas is Hikari betta revive health. I saw it at petcos site, apparently it helps alot of different health problems.
http://www.petco.com/product/102424/Hikari-Betta-Revive-Health-Aid.aspx
^ Assuming it's good for them because it is made specifically for bettas. And Hikari makes pretty good products! :)

#5 ·
Not yet. The tank is in my laundry room which stays really warm. I'll be heading out tomorrow to buy a heater however. This was an impulse buy, but I wanted to research heaters prior to ensure I got the perfect one.

What is the optimum temperature for an ill fish?

#6 ·
Not yet. The tank is in my laundry room which stays really warm. I'll be heading out tomorrow to buy a heater however. This was an impulse buy, but I wanted to research heaters prior to ensure I got the perfect one.

What is the optimum temperature for an ill fish?
About (For a betta) 78-80*F.

#8 · (Edited)
The best medicine is warm, clean, salted(Aquarium salt, 1 tsp. per gallon, be sure to dissolve fully before adding!)water. I've pulled fish back from near death with just this....never underestimate its power.

As mentioned previously, ditch the pimafix. All those 'fix's are horrible, they really don't do much of anything and are damaging to the labyrinth organ that a betta uses to breath.

How big is the hospital tank your keeping in? If its 2-5 gallons, I'd reccomend full water changes every other day, anything smaller then two gallons every day, just to keep the water super clean. Keep the tank bare-bottom for easier cleaning and whatnot, but add in a few silk plants(and a litte cave if you feel like it)to help him feel more secure. Yes, keeping the tank dark is a good idea, very helpful in minimizing stress.

I suggest Marinland-stealth heaters...I personally just like that brand, though most any other adjustable, submersible heater will do. Keep the tank at a steady 80-82 degrees to help promote healing.

Best of luck with your little rescue!! Hopefully he pulls through :)

#10 ·
Not immediately, but with continued use it will eventually damage the organ he uses to breath. It really has no benefits anyway, at least not in this situation it wouldn't. He SHOULD be fine until tomorrow.....but I'd do a water change now if I were you to get the Pimafix out. Just be sure to match the water temp to whatever temp hes at right now and use water conditioner. ;)

#13 ·
I highly reccomend the Stealth Pro heaters..they'll cost you a few extra bucks but it's worth it ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.