Betta Fish Forum banner

breeding set-up

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  brandonwlee 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm new on the board and I am going to attempt my first spawn. I have my breeding set-up ready to go and I have placed the male into the tank. He has been in th etank for about a day and still no bubble nest. I place the female in her own bowl next to the breeding tank for about 30 min/day and the male gets excited and flares but no sign of him producing a bubble nest???? The female is ready to be bred, showing all the signs (belly full of eggs, vertical bands) Should I release her into the breeding tank and hope that he will build a nest soon or wait until he builds a bubble nest before releaseing the female into the tank??

Here is a picture of the breeding tank, the temp is at 80 degrees, live plants too?

Thanks,
Ryan

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would try to leave the female floating in the breeding tank for for a day or so. Did you condition the male and female on live food? And I usually add half a styrafoam cup some of my males only like to build their nests under them. Or you could try to add something else floating in the tank. Also if it is his first time he might need a while to build one it took my male a week once and some wont build one till they are eggs in his mouth.

#3 ·
yes, male and female were conditioned with live food for the past week and a half. I just added a half of a styrofoam cup to the tank so we'll see if that gets him going. I am excited to see what color spawn these two will produce. The female is a white crowntail with dark red fins and the male is a white marble crowntail with deep purple and deep red fins. I'll keep you posted as to how things turn out.

#5 ·
You need to put the female in a jar or clear container and put her in the tank so they can court. Putting her next to the tank for only 30mins a day is doing nothing. The fish won't remember each other so they have to be in each other's sight for the entire period.

#6 ·
Some people leave the lights on I prefer to do a day and night type cycle and some leave the lights off all the time. I'm going to try a low light/dark room breeding and see what happens.

#9 ·
Float something Like an IAL leaf, plastic lid, or styrofoam cup cut in half lengthwise for him to build his nest under.

#13 ·
I usually don't float IAL because it's going to sink in 24-48 hours anyways. I use bubble wrap or a plastic lid for the nest site because I don't want to spend extra money on a styrofoam cup when I already have other things available. Bubble wrap (bubble side down) always works for me.

#15 ·
So I released the female tonight and she and th emale are doing pretty well. She isn't too interested in breeding though! He is chasing her around the tank and then they stop. Then it happens all over again. Will she eventually accept him?? How long does it usually take to get an embrace? Sorry for all the questions I just want to be prepared to remove her if needed?

Thanks,
Ryan

#16 ·
As long as they're not hurting each other just leave em. Actual spawning can take days or (in rarer cases...also from my person experience) weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.