Betta Fish Forum banner

Age/Size of Betta for breeding

26K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bettalover2033 
#1 ·
does anyone know if there has to be a certain age or size before the bettas start to breed? I have a female and male that are about 3cm.

#2 ·
i know that the male should be as big as,preferably bigger then, the female.
And no younger then 4 months.
a more experienced breeder will drop by soon.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

When breeding bettas, yes they have to be a certain age and size. The male should be ONLY a little bigger than the female and the female should NEVER be bigger than the male or it will male it very difficult for the male when they try to embrace. If he gets frustrated with not being able to embrace correctly, he may chase her around and with no intention of spawning anymore. I personally have never had this happen, but know from others. Also the youngest age I would recommend would be at least 4 months old. Though to be truthful with you I have bred 3 month old bettas. Only because they were from show breeders and looked like 6 month old adults. If they are only 3cm in size then I would suggest not planning on breeding them until they are at least 5-6cm. If i were to take a guess at an age it would be around the 2-3 month old mark.

I have to ask. Have you done any research on breeding bettas to consider it? Try looking at the stickies at the top of the page. They give you tips and tell you how to breed bettas. Though it is fine to have other small questions.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum.

If you want stronger and healthier fry, it is believed that they should be spawned after they reach 4 months old, 5-7 is considered best (this doesn't mean younger and older ones can't be bred). Mine are usually bred at 3-3.5 cm (body only-without fins) which are about 4-5 months.

They would start to "flirt" around 3-4 months of age. But this doesn't necessarily mean they will breed. And even if they do, you would most likely get few and rather weak fry.

I suggest you wait a bit and do some reading to get more familiar about their breeding behavior and especially about raising fry which is the real challenge.

Good luck.

#8 ·
If they are the same size, I wouldnt suggest attempting to breed as they might just get a bit frustrated and start to have the intensions to nip and chase more than to spawn.

If you are going to attempt this anyway, I would not suggest waiting a week. They will lose interest in each other. IF the males bubblenest is 4-5 inches long, trust me, it's time to release her!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.