Betta Fish Forum banner

Planted Tank: Sand or Gravel Cap?

582 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bluenail 
#1 ·
So I have a question:

I about to head back to school soon and finally get my tank started up.

My plan is to have a natural planted tank with a soil substrate for the best growth and survival of my plants.

What I am interested in asking is, is a sand or gravel cap better?

If sand: what type/brand of sand? Where did you purchase it?

If gravel: what type of grain size?

How much of each layer should I be using (inch depth of soil vs. cap)? And, is either better with a certain type of snail or shrimp (I plan on trying both as companions to my fish)

Thank you! I know it's a lot of questions.

#2 · (Edited)
I spent a lot of time reading articles about substrate because I just started having a panted tank too. From what I have gathered, there are dozens of things you can use. I finally landed on eco-complete because it comes with nutrients that help the tank cycle and help the plants grow.

It comes in a large bag that has multiple different sizes of gravel varying from 2mm to pretty much sand. The bag says that the more finite particles end up settling to the bottom to help plant roots hold. So far, it looks like thats true. My plants also look greener than ever now that I added it. Word of advice when using this stuff though: get a container to scoop up the eco-complete and put it in the tank, don't just dump it all in. I just dumped it and it made my tank super cloudy. Couldn't see an inch into the tank. But, it did settle after about 12 hours.

Also, I would plant the tank and then let it cycle before getting fish. I'm sure you already know this. But I figured I'd say that just in case.

As for the sand, I was reading that sand is not beneficial to plant growth. It tends to get impacted and inhibits root growth. I read of people using it as a top layer above some other substrate, but to me, eco-complete looks fine and works great. Plus, you don't have to worry about layering. It does it on its own.

One last thing! Sorry for the novel. I have been reading that using hydroton as the very bottom layer helps plants grow a lot and helps good bacteria form and sustain more quickly. I got some and had to rinse them off a dozen times and soak them before i could put them in my tank. (they're just in a jar with holes in it right now).

The eco-complete costs $24 at petco and $23 on amazon (i'm a prime member so shipping is free, maybe you have prime toooo). A 20lb bag makes about 1" of substrate in a 10 gal tank. I'd recommend having at least 1" if you plan on having larger plants.

The hydroton was $5 on ebay with free shipping.

Aquatic sand at petco costs about $12-$15.

Play sand from HomeDepot costs like $20??? (if you want to use this you'd have to wash it out and prep it a ton)

#6 ·
thanks for the detailed response. From what I understand, you use eco-complete as the one and only layer in your tank, correct? You don't have a top layer "cap" of either sand or gravel.

And also, for the hydroton, did you just place them into your tank in their original round form? You didn't crush them into the eco-complete did you?

#3 ·
The play sand at my local home depot is only like $3.00 for a 50 pound bag. It might be different for other cities but the home depot is generally known for low prices. It does take some prepping though but its pretty cheap to purchase if that's what you are looking for.

#4 ·
I like black diamond blasting grit (sand) because it looks more like dirt, and is very inexpensive. It is technically not natural, but it is inert so isn't adding anything artificial to the plants or the soil, so close enough.

Gravel will work too, or white sand, so it is up to you.

A complete mix also works well for a planted tank if you are not dead set on natural. I also want to point out that there is a specific planted tank section of the forum where you might get better answers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.