Betta Fish Forum banner

Second breeding trial :)

863 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
This time, I am using Crayola Colors, with my female. It will be his first time (and her second) so I don't expect it to turn out super awesome or anything :lol:

So now I shall be conditioning them both.
And by the way, I may add.... I squirm every time I cut up a live mealworm. 1. it is disgusting and 2. OH MY GOSH IT STILL MOVES! D: lol. :lol: :lol:

This time I shall do things a little differently, now that it is the second time around.

Also, should I use a breeder's net or container (again)? I know pheromones is key to them :p This is still a 10 gallon, by the way. Heated nicely to 80 degrees right now.

#2 ·
Just so I'm clear... your not conditioning them in the spawning tank right? They need to be conditioned in separate containers where they can't see each other.

Breeder's net/box/hurricane... anything will work but IME they spawn faster if the female is put in something that the water can flow through (like a breeder net).

#3 ·
I am conditioning them "properly". aka NO they are not in vision of any fish including each other. I just used cardboard to separate their sight. I did this last time, same way. Just they were both ready within a night's sleep :s so I used a floating container, then after let her in. I think I removed her too soon though... I think it was... Cajun? who said to leave her there until the male guards the nest and chases her away (up to 12 hours if needed) which I didn't do.

This time I will :p And this time I shall also use my breeder's net. I don't have another use for it.

#4 ·
I know exactly how you feel cutting thoes worms.... I have to cut earthworms ever 2 days for my fish (not my bettas lol) talk about YUCK!

When I introduced my pair I had my girl in one of thoes really big pickle jars XD That way she would have a lot of room to swim in still.. but I also had her in there for 4 days before I let her lose in the spawning tank.. so a net might make it faster... dont know since I never actually used one.

Good luck with this try! I'm going to be watching every step of th way! Maybe even ask questions since I will be starting to condition a pair a week from now..(since drake Crest didnt work out, he lost interest..) so I'll only be a little behind from you :) Pictures of the pair please? I'm sure I saw them but I like being able to compare them to the fry afterwards.. :) See how much they turned out like their parents XD

#5 ·
What I've done was actually release the male and the female into the tank at the same time. I felt pretty confident in it because I knew the pair was not very aggressive towards each other, I had a lot of hiding places, and the breeding tub had a lot of room. Just another way of thinking about it I guess, haha. Just my two cents.

#6 ·
Riting will do xD actually I will document everything I did, especially for #3 spawn :p And Chelseak that's a different way for sure. :p as long as it worked for you! :)

#8 ·
IMO with this only being your second spawn I'd suggest sticking with the more traditional method instead of releasing them together.. Until you're more intune with the behaviors.

I always put mine together but I've done a lot of spawns and have a pretty decent understanding of behavior.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
I am not tossing them in together. I am doing what I did last time, because I know my female's stress signals (her in breeder net or whatever, him unable to hurt her). And I won't know HOW to until I find out myself. It's not like I stopped researching anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.