Betta Fish Forum banner

Hatching brine shrimp

963 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Mohan85 
#1 ·
I have a massive bag of brine shrimp eggs, was thinking of hatching some for the fishes. They enjoy frozen shrimp, so why not put the eggs to go use! My question is, how do you raise shrimp? What do I need? I'll be googling this as well but would like live answers from betta breeders too.

#2 ·
I get a soda bottle, pour in water (dechlorinated) chuck in heaps of salt, pour in some eggs and put an air pump tube into the bottle and turn it on so the eggs are floating around. they hatch within a day or so and last for about 3-4 days. then rinse and repeat.

#4 ·
I only add one TSP of salt to my water when I hatch mine. Its a very simple process. Literally, get yourself a 20oz bottle. Fill it about halfway full of water, then add in a pinch of eggs, and a tsp of salt. put a Air hose down into the mouth hole of the bottle, and run it all the way to the very bottom of the bottle and connect the air hose. and keep it ina place where it will have light MOST of the time, and just let it go for 19-24 hrs. and BAMMM you have BBS.

#6 · (Edited)
yea pretty similar for me.. i cut a regular bottle of drinking water, bout those 8 oz bottles.. cut the top part off and fill the water(decholorinated) to about 75% and i usually add a little less than 2 tsp of salt(if you add too much salt they won't hatch, or very little, so get your solution right). I then add an airline tube(make sure the airline tube goes all the way to the bottom and stays there) and cover the top of the bottle with plastic wrap(because over time salt gets blown out the water and sprays around the area, ths plastic wrap will prevent this) and put a lamp over it for some heat.. in about 24 hours u should have alotta BBS

#8 ·
they're gonna be real real tiny your fish might take notice and take a few snaps at it or they might not notice them at all and just ignore them.. i would recommend giving the bbs to your fry, i think it would be a real nice treat for them..

#9 ·
I have frozen bbs here and they never noticed them, they're just over 2m old swordtails. Mine are eating and hunting down frozen brine shrimp with the big dogs lol Maybe I'll skip the bbs then, and feed when I have fry again. I didn't think they would be as microscopic as the frozen bbs, unless there is a way to raise them into adults?

#10 ·
my fry never eat frozen bbs either.. but when they're alive and squirm around like they do and my fry will eat until their bellies EXPLODE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.