Betta Fish Forum banner

Spawn attempt? Maybe? Need some advice.

719 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  NCPanthersgurl 
#1 ·
I have a male, Ganon. And a female, Midna.

Midna the day I got her:

Ganon the day I got him:

Both beauties, both halfmoons, both similar in color.

Should I attempt to spawn them? My last spawn was a total failure. 6 survived and one day randomly died. No idea what happened, they just were... :(

I also lost both parents.

Both facts which make me nervous to try again.

The first big difference is both male and female will be in cycled tanks prior to and after the spawning. {her a sorority, him a divided} Which I think may help.

Next, I want to set up the tank differently, a more permanent setup.

Advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
they're both beautiful!

don't let that failure stop you from breeding. :3 alot of breeders go through that, even some of the better ones on here!

if i'm not mistaking, you want to keep the fish separated from all other fish during conditioning. x: i could be wrong, though.

#3 ·
Well from the research I've been doing, it's very common for a breeder to pull a female from a sorority for spawning. As for the male, I'll have to look into it. >.>

I'm thinking my failure with the last spawn was water......anyone know anything about this, and if it's any good?

#4 ·
Also, if I can't do live planted, what's the next best arrangement?

#5 ·
There is a small filter at PetCo called "Small World Filter"...one of the best filters I've used...hooks up to an air pump, has cartiridges, is pretty gentle, and keeps your water healthy for fry. I don't use them anymore but I did when I started. Now a days I just spawn in 4 gallon tubs filled halfway, heated to 80F-88F, plastic plants, and some almond leaf. Good luck :) Also check out my website (link below)....has a detailed hobbyist method spawning guide.

#6 ·
Awesome. Thanks :3

#8 ·
beautiful, your female looks just like mines! except mines white

#9 ·
I would say go for it! They are beautiful bettas and would have very pretty fry :)

Also my girl was pulled out from a sorority, but I also had the introducing stage last for 4 days.. so it might just depend on how long you are willing to wait when it comes to that.. but then again I could be wrong :) Just thought I wouldnt mention that mine was.. Good luck if you decide to!

#10 ·
Cool, thanks for the advice all ^.^

I actually bought the female off Chard56. :p And the male was a petco find that I actually have to credit to my boyfriend. He picked him up and told me to get him...which never happens cause I have 11 males {including him} and 5 females. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.