Betta Fish Forum banner

Black Background?

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  xxabc 
#1 ·
Where can I get a black background? Or anything makeshift? It has to be as thin as paper to fit. I'm not interested in those "ocean background" but I can play around. Thank you! (It cannot be anything like cardboard in case it gets wet).

#4 ·
a fedex/kinkos store? they should be able to do it and it shouldn't be to expensive.

~TPF

#5 ·
I live considerably far from them. I'm not allowed to do it at my school either. Is it possible to buy it at a pet store? I've never seen one though, so I'm slightly doubtful.

#14 ·
I've used a black trash bag as a background before :). IMO it doesn't look half bad at all. You can either smooth it out or you can leave it ruffly. Either way it'll look nice.

#15 ·
For a small tank, posterboard would be easiest. I would not bother laminating, it would be cheaper just to replace it once in a while as it becomes waterstained. Black vinyl, perhaps cut from a shower curtain, could be a good waterproof idea.

If you are not planning on changing colors, black paint would give the best results.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
I just used spray paint. I put the fishies in cups and tore the tanks completely down, took the tank outside and sprayed the back. I taped plastic to the sides so it didn't get on any other part of the tank.

#18 ·
I have a roll of childrens tan coloring paper. I just cut it to fit(fits 55s perfectly) and painted the paper black with acrylic paint. It has gotten wet some a few time, but is totally fine. Unless you are making huge messes with water, paper should be fine. You can also use either electrical tape or painting tape and easily take the background off if need be.

#19 ·
I would revisit those "Ocean Backgrounds" that you are so against.

The back of them is ussually either Dark Blue, or black.

Myself, I was originally against the idea of those "Aquascape" backgrounds, very much so. My LFS had a Black on one-side, Blue Gradient on the other that I liked alot. I purchased it for $2.50 for my 10 gallon.

Exactly what I wanted, but now that I've had it up for a while, I really wish I got one of those with an artificial aquascape behind it.

I currently am using the blue side. It took a little effort to fit it properly (trimming, coating with oil, rubbing out all the bubbles with a credit card).

#20 ·
Oh, they stick against the back? Interesting. Didn't know that, lol. For all the ones I've seen so far, I've only seen blue backs, but I will revisit on my next trip.

These are all REALLY interesting ideas. I'll probably not paint it though, I like change and my impulses my change over time, haha. The black trash back is also interesting, I have plenty of that.

Thanks, guys !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.