Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding my betta (Spartan)?

2K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  cajunamy 
#1 ·
So, I have been told (rudely, hate those people anyways) that bettas can only breed when they are under 8 months. Except... stores sell them... at 5-8 months.... Sooo buybreedbuybreedbuybreed? -.- unlikely.

Anyways, my male is about 2.5 years, and had never flared until I got my female (equal size to him, 8 mos), and instead of flaring AT her, he flared...FOR her. Strutted his stuff, fins expanded twice I have ever seen them lol.

So, is it actually possible for me to breed him? At what REAL(ish) age are bettas no longer able to breed?

#29 · (Edited)
Yes, some plastics can be toxic. You have to look at the numbers.

Data sheet for acrylic sheeting http://www.professionalplastics.com/professionalplastics/content/AcryliteFFDataSheet.pdf

And if you search acrylic aquariums, many aquariums, the kind you pay to go to with the sharks and such, use acrylic for their tanks. The fish do not get poisoned from it.

Acrylic tanks have been around for many years, and my point is that if they were toxic, there would be many people that would have dead fish from their tanks.

#31 ·
Thank you. So if I do breed my Betta Fish, what would I do with the all the babies? Can they be separated from the mother after a certain amount of time? What if I can't keep all of them? Should I give them away or sell them or give them to the pet store?

#32 ·
@Squigles- If you have questions about breeding, I suggest you go do research by looking/reading in other threads instead of asking questions in a thread meant for someone else. Or you could PM a breeder.

#34 ·
To start a new thread, go to the top of the breeding section page and click on "new thread". Then you can ask as many questions as you need to. Youlovegnats was not being rude. She pretty much said thge same thing I did. We want to help you but it's best if you had your own thread instead of posting in someone else's thread. If you have any problems or questions about anything, please feel free to contact a moderator or Admin.

#35 ·
I am almost positive that the acrylic/plastic in fish tanks are the PET/PETA one that is as safe as using a glass tank.

I've been trying to look for specifics, but of course no acrylic tank advertises what specific acrylic/plastic they use. You'd have to email your tank's manufacturer to find out for sure.

And yw :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.