Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta genetics

5K views 110 replies 14 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
Ok so I was wondering if someone could explain the betta genetics for me.. I've read a few articles and my brain just about exploded! I have 2 halfmoon males one is a mustard gas, one is completely white. Then I also have a red with blue shimmer VT and a black and blue dragon scale male (thats what he was called when i got him)

At the moment I have 4 VT females but am looking for other females as well.. wondering if maybe I should be looking for a specific type. I read a few times that it isnt always best to have the same type for male and female. Is that true as well?

#28 ·
Yeah I don't know how much it would be but I see a lot of the people on Aquabid for like 16 shipping. I don't know for sure though we will see ^_^. I will trade you fry XD

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
deal xD I definitely must say... for a first time daddy Spartan is amazing o.o plus he is deemed "old" for breeding lol and he is the best one I have O_O

Personally, if anyone can find me a GREEN female betta, preferably 1.5 inches or bigger I WOULD PAY 30$ FOR SHIPPING lol

#31 ·
I would too if I could, but with my 60 gallon, 2 ten gallons, and all my mini tanks..... I dont make enough money to be able to afford a 30 dollar shipment :\
This is my new guy Drake. I am just now realizeing that instead of being green and black he is actually a really dark red and blue.... but he has a lining of black on the tips of his fins. Still in love with him though :)

#32 ·
He is SO pretty!! ^^ and yeah I know, tanks are costly haha!! I am thinking of re-homing my mollies so I have the 20 gallon free.. winter is going to be bad and all my lil' buddies who (most of the heaters made my room a sauna) don't need a heater right this moment, will need one soon!!

#33 ·
I'm going through the same issues with the heaters! Earlier this year I actually had to take them out because my tank was getting over heated (lights were to hot) but my cat decided the rubber parts were fun to chew on.... Now I have to replace them all before winter comes! That right there will be my 30 dollar shipment lol

#34 ·
haha I know right??? I rescued one too many bettas so I am in a tight squeeze of room. My healthier, less prone bettas can stay in the "goldfish bowl" which is about 2-3 gallons I guess... with a heater of course. Everyone gets clean bowls/tanks anyways :p I never had a problem since my first betta (about 8 years old before dying from medicine...) as long as I keep everything clean >< lol.

I would however, like to know about genetics... like you. o.o yes I have had and have bettas... but... never knew much of genetics hahaha

#35 ·
To a lot of people the genetics isnt really that important.. and honestly it's not a big deal to me but I have always been curious as to how it works.

But it might just be one of thoes "learn as you expirence it" situations. Learn what youd get by breeding and seeing what you got.

#36 ·
haha yup that is me right there xD it's a "hey, my bettas like each other... let's see what happens" :p

#37 ·
All about expirementing XD

I'm actually trying this moment to spawn my VT male and VT female. But my male doesnt seem to be interested in making a nest... just showing off. Now if he was showing off to a guy he'd build nests like crazy!

Now I'm also finding out that my HM male has found an interest in my very big VT female.... and she has actually gotten really shy when it came to him! I might just give them a try in a couple days.. would be interesting to see. But that is only if my VT's dont work out together.

#38 ·
Hmm... when he sees a male he makes a nest? let him be in sight of the female, and a male. A male spurs his instincts, a female completes them:p

#40 ·
That's true. Hey I have my bettas in bowls (two at the moment) but their water is warm enough and always clean... I wont diss bowls :) just diss icky stuff to clean with :eek: some people I know use bleach...

#41 ·
I couldnt use bleach.. I'm to scared I wont get it all out and it will end up killing them :( But my room keeps them pretty warm. So I will either do 50% water changes (because my bettas seem to be very messy) every day or completely clean them every other day.

I just put him in. They flared at eachother but as soon as my VT noticed that he couldnt get to drake he didnt care and just kept swimming. I'm leaving the light on tonight so they can interact more.. We'll see what happens in the morning. If nothing happens then I guess I will be finding out what happens when a HM and VT spawns lol

#42 ·
@Ritingyou: what exactly do you want to know about genetics? As 1f2f said there's to much to explain everything. Further there's always the unexpected (mainly due to unknown background).

Mixing tail types; I wouldn't suggest mixing CT to anything to beginners because they would need to know which to select for the following breeding. And IMO it's safer/more affective if F1 were 6 months so their actual fins are known.

Mixing HM/PK to VT is easier. But you need a goal because you might not get what you want right away - it will take you many generations to finally get what you're after.
Eg: Mixing HM to PK - to improve HM's fin thickness
Mixing HM to VT - to add length of fins (3/4 - equal body length)
Mixing PK to VT - NOT ADVISED because gives little to no advantage
These are just a few examples.

If you can't get a drg female, you could pair your male to a metallic female. The chances of getting geno's with stronger drg traits is bigger. But this too will take at least 2 generations.

The VT is dominant for form, not color. Color genetics is very complicated because many factors (genetic) take part - bettas have been cross bred too much thus there's more genetic codes behind what is visible. (ask something specific)

This fact will make color breeding seem like "playing" around - experimenting - learning as you experience. Nevertheless you still need to know the basics.

Hope that gave you a general idea.

#44 ·
"Mixing HM to VT" o.o Maybe my Dusk and his sibling was that mix lol!! I bought him, not his sibling however. His sibling had extremely long fins, as does he.

#45 ·
HMXVT that will be mostly VT some HM and a few crosses I think @_@.

I may be finding out what happens when a PK and VT cross or a Delta and VT cross. OR my girls may be the PK I thought she was and No idea on the other -_-

#46 ·
Haha well :p be very interesting to see hey?? I guess with all the crosses my store bettas probably have, who knows what I could get o.o;;

#47 ·
Yeah no kidding @_@ its a 1/4 this 1/4 this 1/4/ this and 1/4 that XD

#48 ·
I know xD i may get VT, HM, PK, CT.... everything o_O or just one thing, or two, or who knows??? lol. All I do know is I will definitely be interested to see what happens :p

#49 ·
Though VT is heavily Dominate followed by CT as a trait I think. I am still learning it all myself XD

#51 ·
Exactly if genetics were not confusing everyone would be a genius XD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.