Betta Fish Forum banner

Amphibianites Huge Spawn Log.

4K views 86 replies 10 participants last post by  Amphibianite 
#1 ·
I will be posting my breeding successes and failures, questions and ideas here. So please stay tunes because there will be a lot of info to come here.

So I have been looking into breeding for awhile now and have been doing some major research. now have a total of 9 males though only 5 or 6 of them I plan on breeding. I don't plan on breeding my twin red VT boys Fred and George. Also my blue green VT boy Teeth while I love him I feel he may be too old to breed, I don't know how old he was when I got him I inherited him.

I have been planning on breeding both Prince Poppycock and Thoth for awhile now. I may breed Curly Joe while he is a VT he has stunning colors and love him. This will be someday haha.

The other day I bought a wonderful Cambodian HM girl with a blue green shine and shimmer to her. She instantly fell in love with Thoth and he with her. He shows off for her all the time and she loves watching him.

Today I went shopping to bolster up my breeding stock. Petsmart has been having a half off betta sale and well was too good to pass up. I Picked up 2 males and 2 females there. I picked up this wonderful blue and red PK dragon and a stunning Silver and Red fin HM Dragon. For the girls this little green and gold with turquoise shine tiger stripe girl and a red and blueish pk girl.
I decided while I was in town I would go to Petco there I found a girl I have been looking for. A wonderful blue and grey CT girl a mate for my Prince Poppycock. I also found a pure silver dragon Delta boy I had to have.

All my girls have the vertical breeding stripes except the cambo, though she is a flirt.

My two PKs the moment they saw each other went nuts flaring to each other wriggling and just flirting.
The Tiger stripe girl is flirting with every male near her. The two silver dragons, Prince Poppycock and both the twins F&G.

Poppycock is a flirting fools for both the CT girl and the tiger stripe. He is busy swimming back and forth between the two dancing and build bubble nest galore. All in all I every fish flirting with some one. CurlyJoe flirts with Motoko my cambo though she only has eyes for Thoth.

So you must be wondering what do I have set up wise. WELL let me tell you.
Free tanks I have 2 15 gals 1 20 gall, one 25 gal long and tall. I will have plenty of plants by the time I am ready to breed next month. After all my girls and boys need to go through QT and then Conditioned so it will be October before I breed. By that time I will have plenty of plants, and plenty of room ready.

I will post pictures of the pairs and possible combinations to see what you all think. I think I have done a good job find guys and girls that compliment each other and will produce good fry, but I am no expert.

So thank you for you time, your comments, advice, criticism, and help.

Enjoy my betta life ^_^

See less See more
#27 ·
It ranges, depending on the method and aggressiveness and tank size. My oldman was pretty rough, so i jammed my tank with java moss, some tall ferns, tons of duckweed, and then took some fake long hanging silky plants and stuffed them in as well. After the second or third nip Electra found a spot that she could hide in so oldman couldnt fit when she needed a break, really, making it impossible for him to get to her was the only way to keep him from going crazy. I qt'd my duckweed outside for two weeks doing daily water changes and the thing still let dragonfly nymphs in, so make sure you do it indoors or if you must do it outside in a bucket, once qt is over let your adult pick at the plants for a few days nd hope he eats anything that couldve trailed in :p

#28 ·
I don't really have anyplace to harvest plants around here. there are a few aquatic ones in the local river I may be able to get. All my other plants were going to be Petsmart bought.

#29 ·
Thats best :) I have a canal in my backyard so i wanted to give that a try, i thought i was thorough enough but i wasnt D; You should post pics of your setup once your done :D
If you want little damage to her then definatly fill half the tank with lots of plants, top to bottom. If he/she are tame it could boost her confidence (knowing she could hide) and make her more willing, and if he is mr mean, she can hide out and calm her nerves :)

#30 ·
Thanks for the advice Punki ^_^. I will take pics when it gets done. How soon it gets done depends if I get the job tomorrow or not @_@

#31 ·
I'm following this! You're gonna have some incredible fish Amph! :D

#32 ·
Thanks Fighter ^_^

#33 ·
So new question for everyone. What is the rough feeding schedule for the fry?
week one- infusuria (SP_
week two - Microworms & Infusuria
week 2- microworms and BBS
week 3-6+ - BBS

#35 ·
It depends on what you want to feed I personally let them scavenge the tank till week 2 then I feed them microworms until they cant eat them anymore then crushed pellets (to try to entice them to eat pellets) soaked in bloodworm juice and smashed up bloodworms

#36 ·
You do the natural plants just dumped in from lakes and such right? I don't really have the ability where I am at, so I will have to be providing 90% of the fry food myself.

#37 ·
Heavily planted tanks work just as well and I have seen fry start eating after a week microworms. :) And I can only to more natural tanks if I am willing to battle dragonfly nymphs and in the summer so now that fall is commin on I have to change methods.

#38 ·
Ah I see, well I am looking at harvesting some river plants and QTing them for several weeks to make sure there is NOTHING, using parasite remover to help kill anything as well. These will go in some of my regular tanks but could go in my fry tank was well. I am also getting a good amount of just regular moss that my LFS has for 50 cents a hand full woot. XD

#39 ·
Lol that should be great I just give what ever I harvest to one of my sororities for about a month and they eat everything evil out of it. And I wish my stuff was that cheap mines a whole dollar more DX

#40 ·
Yeah its just some regular moss label as breeder moss great for fry XD. So I am going to get a couple bucks worth. I am going to be buying some story plants here too. I need them for my other tanks as well as my fry tanks @_@. I am going to be crazy enough to do two at once I think @_@ Poppycock, and Thoth as the males to breed this time around. Then I may do Curly Joe and Quetzalcoatl (the PK) as the next batch, or may do the other dragons. I donno yet XD.

#42 ·
Haha there will be tons of Pictures haha. The tanks will be labeled too going this spawn is in this tank and this tank this spawn.
I am going to be keeping a digital chart of when I got which fish roughly, how old I believe them to be, when they spawns with who, how old the fry are which parents the fry are, etc.

#44 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, I wouldn't undertake a big ordeal like this without being serious about it. This is a huge step in betta keeping after all.

Also I am still looking to bolster my breeding stock, found two girls I am really desiring right now to help. Both HMs, one solid yellow/gold which I think would look amazing with my Silver Dragon Delta. AND a Turquoise HM Melano Geno which I think would play with my Drag PK

#45 ·
Yay fun! I decided that what I am going to be breeding is dragon/ iridescent HM's mostly marbles. But I am not as serious as you except for my folder where I hide all my secret betta plans... mostly history of parents :p

#46 ·
Haha really the digital file isnt too hard core. A simple spread sheet with who is what when did I got them and current age. Who did a breed them to. When did I breed. Number of known fry and age of fry. Or eventually which generation the fry are in a linage. Something simple but sounds complex XD.

I haven't decide what my main breeding goal is. Right now I want to breed my boys(with girls that compliment colors) to create the best next generation I can. Because the males can't breed forever this will extend the time I have to breed what I want.

I am thinking eventually I would like to breed Double Tail Dragon Crown Tails. That is a long term goal.

#47 ·
Oooh I've never seen a double crown tail! Sounds epic :D

#48 ·
Fighter I have seen a Double Tail Crown Tail Half Moon it was insanely epic

#49 ·
I tried the double ct once and will be trying it again in the upcoming year. The first spawn didnt grow properly and I ended up loosing all the fry. I'd love to see what you create.

#50 ·
You has picture? Please say yes!

#51 ·
Sorry fighter it was posted in a thread I found. He was stunning though.

Creat, what method would you use for that? I was thinking about mating my DTHM with my CT girl then sibling pair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.