Betta Fish Forum banner

Sexing fry

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
So some of my fry are showing eggspots which are not 100% accurate in determining sex. OFL mentioned that sometimes she can tell the sex by pectoral fin length, but mine all seem to have the same length atm. But what im noticing tonight is one of my largest is FLARING when others come near it. Im really wanting to know if its a male or an aggressive female lol. My babies are 8 weeks old tomorrow. Any hints and tips or pictures to help? This is my first spawn so im still learning :)

#2 ·
In a batch of 1 type spawn (HMxHM, PKxPK, CTxCT etc.) you could look out for:
1. eggspot - though sometimes what we think are eggspots are actually something else.
2. color (only works for dark color) - the males usually have darker color while females show sort of breeding bars and are less vibrant.
3. Body - males are usually slimmer and looks longer than females who looks shorter and wider
4. Fins - males usually have larger (incl. PK fry) and longer (specially apparent for long finned types).
5. for all types - male's ventrals are usually wider and longer/larger.

Just compare one and the other. If they're the same, they're probably the same sex.

Sorry I don't have clear pictures to show you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.