Betta Fish Forum banner

My female Madame...?

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
Firstly, she seemed to "choose" her male, who is now unsuitable for breeding D: But I'll try to see if I cannot get her to be interested in my other male.

Secondly, what do you think she is? The flecks of color on her goes blue or green depending on the light =D And those stripes are her normal markings o_O either that or she is naturally stressed :lol:

What combinations usually result in good fry? (like CT + PK, or VT and VT, or...) in your opinion ^^ I would LOVE to see her mettalic be passed onto fry.. especially male fry :shock:

#3 ·
yeah I forgot about the pic lol got some...

yes the first two were during and after the spawn... so that is why her fins are ragged. the other two are before the spawn was even thought of :p but in a few days after the spawn she was completely healed :eek:

Attachments

#4 ·
Hmm.. I want to say VT but I cant garentee that I am correct. I mean I only see two rays.. which I believe is a VT but I only started learning how to tell the tail types of females a couple days ago. So safer to wait for an expert... she looks a lot like the girls I have that drake is going gaga over lol And one of them has stripes just like that!

Although I am not sure if it is stress or not either.. because shes had it 24/7 since the day I got her and that was umm.. 2? 3? weeks ago?

#5 ·
Yeah haha. Although I found her personal stress sign.. she goes an ugly brownish grey! :eek:

#7 ·
Yeah I notice a lot of darkly colored bettas, male or female seem to change their color if stressed... I have no idea about lightly colored ones.

#8 ·
I have one with a white body (with some random coloring of spots of red and blue but very tiny) and she gets red stripes.. but I only notice them on one side of her body. But its her way of telling me shes packed with eggs. I figured that out when I saw her dropping eggs and eating them right in the middle of introducing her to my male.. go figures lol

I would assume other light colored females are kinda the same.. right?

#9 ·
She looks like a VT to me but doesnt mean she isnt carrying other genes that could pass onto fry. And depending on how far you want to go with the spawn or if you are planning on breeding for a long time you can always work at spawning her to a HM and seeing what kinds of tails you get then taking that F1 spawn and inbreeding or breeding out to another HM eventually getting delta's and or HM's or you could breed her to VT and get VT's... breeding is a very personal thing.

#10 ·
She looks pk to me since her anal is parallel and short. Do you know how old she is? She could just be a young VT.
The only way to find out is to breed her :)
if you breed her to a longfined fish then
100% long finned in first generation, if shes pk then you can expect some pk back in the second generation.
Then youll know for sure :-D

#11 ·
Well she is aproximately a year old - the breeder brought in her from his batch before the youngsters that were there (the ones I also got, and who have ICH in my community tank -.- ). She is 2.5 inches, and a gentle giant :) She's been spawned once, but the male... it was his first time so he was not sure what to do on the second day of having the eggs... lol so there were none left :/

But yeah maybe I will try breeding her. The smaller females are the same, but lack any color as they are just little girls.

#14 ·
Do you get to see what her brothers or parents were like when you bought her?
Shes a lovely fish, I'd love to have one like her in my tanks.
If you do decide to breed her you better make a spawn log! I wanna see these babes :-D
yeah as Dramaqueen said, PK is short finned VT is long finned. VT females have noticably longer fins and a pointed anal fin.
My avatars a pk aswell...personally they're my favourite

#15 ·
Though rather rare, but some females have difficulty showing their true colors. So instead of showing vibrant colors, they mainly show "stress" lines - but they are not stressed.

Here are 2 examples:
Blue Cobalt blue Organism Fish Electric blue
Organism Fish Fish

Though the first female shows her color, yet the stress line is almost always visible. The second female shows an extreme stress sign but isn't. BTW, both are flaring.... (sorry for the bad pictures)

I don't understand how a betta can "choose". I'd isolate them in a dark solitary for a few days and fed a lot. Then exercise her to other females or mirror if you don't have another female. Once she gets really aggressive, flare her to a flirting male. She should respond to him.

When bettas get intimidated, they often remember the color and would be afraid of such color. This might be the case with your female.... not sure.
And bettas from dark colored spawns would probably never see light colored bettas and vise versa. This is why some people believe that contrasting dark - light colors don't usually fight. But the fact is, they're not used to such colors thus don't consider it to be a threat..... most bettas would flare at any color..... anyway, they would be less responsive towards such colors.... this is why they're easier to breed if they're aggressive.

IMO she is probably a turquoise PK. They sometimes look more green and other times look blue-ish. She is a PK because her caudal is very short compared to her body. If she only has 2 rays, she is probably a traditional PK - or what people refer to as wild or fighter.
VT females often have rather oval caudals and are rather long - about 1/3 + of the body. They usually have the same amount of rays as the PK fighters.

I wouldn't advise mixing CT to anything - unless you have a definite goal. It would take many many generations to get them to breed true again.
If you want to cross tail types, cross PK, HM, VT. they are easier to fix and IMO are easier to rehome.

If you want colors of your female, it doesn't matter what tail type you breed her to. Form and color are two different gene pools(?). I'd suggest green, turquoise, metalic blue, royal blue, or any metallic.

#16 ·
Though rather rare, but some females have difficulty showing their true colors. So instead of showing vibrant colors, they mainly show "stress" lines - but they are not stressed.

Here are 2 examples:
View attachment 37112 View attachment 37113

Though the first female shows her color, yet the stress line is almost always visible. The second female shows an extreme stress sign but isn't. BTW, both are flaring.... (sorry for the bad pictures)

I don't understand how a betta can "choose". I'd isolate them in a dark solitary for a few days and fed a lot. Then exercise her to other females or mirror if you don't have another female. Once she gets really aggressive, flare her to a flirting male. She should respond to him.

When bettas get intimidated, they often remember the color and would be afraid of such color. This might be the case with your female.... not sure.
And bettas from dark colored spawns would probably never see light colored bettas and vise versa. This is why some people believe that contrasting dark - light colors don't usually fight. But the fact is, they're not used to such colors thus don't consider it to be a threat..... most bettas would flare at any color..... anyway, they would be less responsive towards such colors.... this is why they're easier to breed if they're aggressive.

IMO she is probably a turquoise PK. They sometimes look more green and other times look blue-ish. She is a PK because her caudal is very short compared to her body. If she only has 2 rays, she is probably a traditional PK - or what people refer to as wild or fighter.
VT females often have rather oval caudals and are rather long - about 1/3 + of the body. They usually have the same amount of rays as the PK fighters.

I wouldn't advise mixing CT to anything - unless you have a definite goal. It would take many many generations to get them to breed true again.
If you want to cross tail types, cross PK, HM, VT. they are easier to fix and IMO are easier to rehome.

If you want colors of your female, it doesn't matter what tail type you breed her to. Form and color are two different gene pools(?). I'd suggest green, turquoise, metalic blue, royal blue, or any metallic.

Cool!! :) yeah when she was spawned with Spartan (his first time) there was twice she flared back at him, but I think it was more of a "oh for pete sake go away will ya!!??" lol. But they did pretty good for the first time. I did see two sets of "siblings". One set was a long finned VT, the others were small, short tailed, but not very active o_O Well either way she is very pretty, and I definitely would love seeing THOSE colors come up :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.