Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #1 
firefox1984

Exclamation Can anyone help?

This isnt about my betta but about my dwarf puffer, I have looked all over the web and have found nothing. My fish is unbalanced not eating he is almost floating with his tail down and head up spinning in circles like a ballerina. Any one know what he might have or where I can get good information to maybe help him?
firefox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #2 
techstud85

I am not sure about puffers but the two things that come to mind are potentially swim bladder disorder or some sort of parasite. Mind you I am pretty new to fish care but it seems that these are likely conditions. Hopefully someone else has some more helpful information.
techstud85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Has the puffer be out of the water- like in a net-sometimes if they blowup out of the water they will fill with air. Do you know what specie it is...is it a true freshwater or a brackish and if brackish...what kind and how much salt did you add to his tank.

True freshwater puffer is-Carinotetraodon travancoricus-common name-pea puffer, dwarf puffer, BB puffer, malabar puffer and only get 1 inch in size.

Can you post a pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #4 
firefox1984

Well the fish died last night, its sad because he or she was very beautiful. I think it was just a sick fish when we bought him and after reading some more information on them the pet store probably made it worse. They used a net to get him and took him out of the water. OFL, it was a Dwarf Puffer, yellow and green with a white belly, it was a great addition to my 33 gallon tank but unfortunately it not for that long. Thank you for all the help.
firefox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss, it didn't sound good by your post....

I kept brackish puffers years ago and I have been planing on getting a pair of the true freshwater puffers for years and just can't find them in my area and it cost a bundle to ship. I even setup a tank for them stocked full of java moss-since that is what they like to spawn in...lol....One day, I still plan on getting a pair-cute little buggers and with my hundreds of common snails I pull each week-I have plenty of food...lol....Plus, since they are so hard to find they should sell well in my area.....Now that the weather is warming up....I need to find a pair and have them shipped....

From the research-it seems that they like to be kept in smaller-species only planted tanks and don't like a lot of current-somewhat like a Betta and due to their aggressive nature are not ideal for community tanks. Loads of personality little fish....lol...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergancy, help confused, information, sick