Betta Fish Forum banner

Which water tests are the best?

779 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
I want to buy a water testing kit, but I do not know which one to get, so many options. Any advice? :???:

#3 ·
Most agree that the best one is the API Freshwater Master test kit. It can be a little pricey ($30 and up in the chain stores) but you can usually find it online much cheaper. I think I found my last one at Walmart for around $15 on sale. It's the only one I'll use.

I'm testing all of my water right now as a matter of fact and checking out the forum while I wait for the results of each tank :)

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the dip strip test kits. They tend to be innacurate.

#4 ·
I have the API test for Ammonia and it works really well.I want to get the master test kit soon thouh(it is also made by API)So basically you can't go wrong with API.

#5 ·
Just make sure it's a liquid master kit. Dip strips really are inaccurate--when I was first starting out I learned that when combined with some dechlorinators, these strips can throw false positive results. Imagine how much I freaked out when the ammonia on a tank I had just changed was sky high--lesson learned. They are also extremely expensive per test compared to the liquid kit. For the price of a dozen strips, you get hundreds of tests per bottle of liquid tester.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.