Is your tank heated? Doesn't need it currently
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The ends of his fins are a dark gray, and there is a chunk that's red at the end. You can't really tell unless you shine a flashlight on him, but it is all there.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's perked up a lot since I brought him home about 5 days ago. He certainly doesn't act like anything is wrong.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I saw his fins were awful at the store, but I thought it was biting. Suspected possible fin rot today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? No clue.

Last edited by Torla; 09-05-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Torla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

How is he today? Have the gray and red areas of his fins gotten worse, or better?

It sounds like he may have been exposed to high levels of ammonia while at the petstore. This is common.

The best way to treat it is by keeping him in warm, clean water, and giving him quality food.

Since you have a 2.5 gal unfiltered tank, I would increase the water change frequency. This will remove wastes, toxins and ammonia. It will also keep bacterial levels low, which will help keep his fins from developing an infection.

Omega One pellets are an excellent food. And everything else that you're doing looks fine.

Keep up with the water changes. If anything starts to look worse, please let us know. Also, photos can be helpful. Hopefully though, he'll look better in a couple of days now that he's out of the store, and you're giving him such good care.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #3 
Torla

He does look better today. I did about an 80% change yesterday. I'm thinking of picking up some API Stress Coat when I go to the pet store today. Can't hurt, and it very well may help!

He has some really nice regrowth on his dorsal fin with white tips, which if I recall correctly, can indicate growth. He's also getting some in-between fins on the caudal fin (if that makes any sense) which is leading me to believe he's not actually a crowntail, but a veiltail with bad fins. That red chunk is still there, though. The tips on the anal tail are still dark gray and a few have curled very slightly. But he's still active, happy, eating well.

It's hard to get pictures because he's such a zippy little guy and I'm only armed with a camera phone. Thank you so much for responding!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #4 
Torla

Here's a picture of Nemo when I first got him from the store on August 31. Looking at this now, I'm amazed at the progress. I'll see if I can get an updated picture today.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #5 
farmgirl598

Isn't he a Crowntail? Their fins are supposed to look that way, somewhat. I agree the tips of the fins look as if there might be a bit of rot there, but nothing a lot of TLC won't cure. Good Luck, and keep us posted
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #6 
Torla

I thought he was, too, but the regrowth is starting to suggest otherwise. It's slow going, even with frequent water changes and Stress Coat, but I suppose we'll see eventually. :) Whatever type he is, he's still very feisty and cute.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #7 
farmgirl598

He really is a cutie! I LOVE the bettas that have spots.
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote