Betta Fish Forum banner

Fin Rot? Constipation? White Poop?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  weezerette1121 
#1 ·
My betta has been having white poop. Not stringy white, but normal red poop with white segments in it. She's a female roundtail. Sometimes, she also gets a little bit of constipation where the poop is wound or coiled up. What's the best for this? Also, I'm almost positive she has fin rot.

The first picture is from when I got her and the second is yesterday.

What should I do? I changed her water last night and put aquarium salt in it. Do I need to change it again tonight and put more in?

Please inform me of your best treatment options for the rot and the poop if anything is even wrong. She's been acting fine otherwise!

Thanks!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.7g
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? Under-gravel
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, she plays in it
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaBites/bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 BettaBites in the morning, tiny piece of bloodworm at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Pinker gills and pink dot on head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I'm not sure how
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Lost scales
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 months

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
hey, don't worry, if it's fin rot, and minor, usually, just by putting a bit of aq salt and keeping the water clean helps the healing. Just let it be for a few days, perform partial or full waters changes as you want, and use this aq salt for about 10 days. Hopefully it will receed.

If it gets severe start on medication for fin rot.

As for constipation... try fasting your betta for a day or two :D see if that changes his poop.

Good luck and keep us posted :D

#4 ·
for starters, a tank that size needs more frequent water changes. Here is a helpful link on the amount of changes each size tank needs based on filteration, etc: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
If you can test the water parameters, that might help. Poor water quality might be the culprit here. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as others on this board, such as oldfishlady or sakura8. You can always private message one of them with your questions and they will try to help you out, but I do know that they will want you to get some kind of water testing kit.

#5 ·
i've started the AQ salt, today will be the third full change in a row and the third treatment of salt. i'm worried about the poop, and her gills and gill plates have turned blood red. is that normal?

#6 ·
I dont think thats normal. How much salt did you add? And u might need to test ur water, red gills could be from water problems too

#12 ·
no, it isn't stringy. and the white seems to have stopped. would bettafix work on the fin rot? it's been like 8 days of salt and nothing seems to be different. help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.